Harvard University Application Developer I in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Auto req ID 42623BR
Business Title Application Developer I
School/Unit Harvard Law School
Location USA - MA - Cambridge
Job Function Information Technology
Time Status Full-time
Schedule Monday through Friday, 9 to 5
Salary Grade 057
Union 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Duties & Responsibilities The Applications Developer is a member of the ITS Business Solutions team and contributes to the full development lifecycle of software applications that support the academic and administrative needs of the Harvard Law School community. The successful candidate will thrive in a nimble, Agile development environment, enjoy working directly with our business partners, and be comfortable moving between technologies based on business requirements and emerging trends.
• Participate in iterative, Agile, rapid development processes
• Work in partnership with clients to develop, implement, and maintain practical, innovative, integrated, and reliable solutions
• Conduct root-cause analysis and research to diagnose problems and proposes solutions
• Identify integration requirements between applications
• Work on system design, meeting with customers to gathers/define requirements
• Develop, document and maintain code
• Test and deploy new applications and extensions to existing applications
• Perform operational/maintenance tasks on existing applications
• Provide operational support and, as needed, support for user requests via the help desk (e.g. user account management problems, issue resolution, ad-hoc emergency system problems)
• Work with third party vendors
• Attend team/project meetings
• Seek opportunities to develop technical leadership and stay abreast of emerging technologies
Basic Qualifications • B.S. in computer science, engineering, or equivalent experience, required.
• 2-5 years hands-on, related applications development experience including developing, debugging, testing, implementing and supporting database-driven websites.
Additional Qualifications • Solid understanding of object oriented programming and knowledge of .NET, PHP and Java
• Working knowledge of software design patterns and their uses in common tasks
• Experience working on teams utilizing Agile development methodologies
• Previous experience in web application development, relational database structures, and experience with MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server
• Understanding of foundational technologies such as HTTP, XHTML, LDAP, XML, CSS, XSLT, SOAP, REST, servlets, HTTP sessions, SQL
• Comfort working in a variety of operating systems, technical architectures and programming languages
• Experience with system integration, business process automation tools and web services
• Solid organizational skills including time management and prioritization
• Self-starter with ability to work with diverse technical and non-technical clients
• Strong written and verbal communication abilities
Additional Information • Must be able to work longer hours to meet project deadlines and, as necessary, to troubleshoot and fix problems
• Performs other duties as assigned
All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources.
Pre-Employment Screening Criminal
EEO Statement We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.