State of Massachusetts Accountant II in Westfield, Massachusetts
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Serves as the functional point of contact for day to day budget/financial issues
· Performs budget administration work involving the monitoring of obligations incurred (purchase orders and other contract actions with proper coding)
· Crosschecks payment vouchers (270s) from the State Military Division to ensure all payments are accurate and valid
· Reconciles accounts monthly and verify expenditures balance with state and federal comptrollers
· Coordinates with State Military Division office for contracting procedures
· Develops, maintains, utilizes database to monitor and track the expenditure of funds for use in formulating budget requirements, including energy/utility consumption rates and usage
· Partners in preparing annual budget projections and requests
Enters all initial data at the beginning of each fiscal year to include funding, federal and state codes, collection work orders, wage increases
QqQUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE
* * *Knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting including terminology
Knowledge of the methods of general report writing
Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of accounting data,to draw conclusions and to make appropriate recommendations
Ability to read and interpret documents such as financial reports, accounts and ledgers
Ability to understand, apply and explain the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, etc. governing assigned unit activities
Ability to perform mathematical calculations using formulas to solve problems
Ability to follow oral and written instructions
Ability to gather information by examining records and documents and through questioning individuals
Ability to maintain accurate records
Ability prepare general and financial reports
Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly and to develop ideas in logical sequence
Ability to communicate effectively in oral expression
Ability to exercise sound judgement
Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information
Ability to deal tactfully with others
Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others
Ability to work independently
Ability to work in a team setting
Ability to give written and oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner
This requisition will remain open until filled; however, first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:Applicants must have (A) two years of full-time or equivalent part-time, general accounting or budgeting experience, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
Incumbents may be required to have a current and valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Driver's License at a class level specific to assignment.
I. An Associate's degree with a major in accounting, finance or business may be substituted for one year of the the required experience.
II. A Bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, finance or business may be substituted for the required experience.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job: *Accounting and Finance
Organization: *Military Division
Title: Accountant II
Location: Massachusetts-Westfield - 175 Falcon Drive
Requisition ID: 170004HT