Army National Guard Units (Title 32/Title 5) SMALL ARMS REPAIRER in Ayer, Massachusetts
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a SMALL ARMS REPAIRER, Position Description Number D1227000 and is part of the MA ARNG CSMS, National Guard. This is a Bargaining Unit position. The unit point of contact and contact phone for this position is: CW4 Erwin Cepek (339) 202-6781
Learn more about this agency
(1) Performs accurization of national match weapons (pistols, rifles, and light machine guns) on a limited basis. Accurization involves altering and refining mass-produced weapons for use in national competition, by increasing their accuracy and reliability beyond factory specifications. This process involves selecting, fitting, and altering parts to improve the weapon. Altering includes peening, bending, filing, grinding, and the use of lapping compound to alter parts such as individual slide, receiver, sear, disconnector, barrel, barrel bushing, magazine, hammer, recoil spring, flash suppressor, operating rod spring guide, gas cylinder, stock, and the spindle valve. (2) Disassembles weapons, assemblies, subassemblies and other components. Examines for defects, misalignment and malfunctions. Replaces barrels, firing pins, springs, trigger mechanisms, shell ejectors, and other parts and assemblies. Modifies small weapons by replacing worn or obsolete parts and using hand and power tools, precision gauges, test instruments, jigs and alignment devices in making repairs, modifications, and adjustments. Applies final finishes and test fires and/or performs operational checks of arms repaired to ensure safety, accuracy, and ease of operation. (3) Performs overhaul, maintenance, and repair on a variety of small arms. Diagnoses and identifies mechanical deficiencies and/or malfunctions in weapons including: automatic pistols, revolvers, shotguns, automatic rifles, grenade launchers, machine guns, and rocket launchers, and other small arms and accessories.
(4) Uses micrometer to measure altered tolerances and makes additional adjustments as required. Anneals certain parts until the proper temper of the metal is obtained. Selects certain parts of specific hardness by researching characteristics of various metals in technical manuals. Uses pre-set specifications to ensure that critical operating tolerances are met. Test fires weapons to ensure that they meet desired performance requirements. (5) Is responsible for accountability, storage and security of arms and other sensitive items while they are kept for repair, usually in vaults with limited access. (6) May serve as a commodity inspector during Command Maintenance Management evaluations (COMET) or as a member of a Maintenance Assistance Instruction Team (MAIT). (7) Performs other duties as assigned.
- #### Job family (Series)
6610 Small Arms Repairing
Conditions of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
Military Grades: PV1 to SFC
Compatible Military Assignments: MOS: 92Y 92Z
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Must possess experience or training which demonstrates a working knowledge to read and interpret instructions, repair manual, specifications and drawings; must have a knowledge of shop mathematics sufficient to use testing devices and measuring instruments; and be proficient in the use and maintenance of hand tools and equipment.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:Must possess at least* 12 months* of experience or training with substantial mechanical skill is required to effectively and efficiently repair, overhaul, and rebuild small arms for both conventional uses and for weapons involving accurization. Experience to inspect, diagnose malfunctioning, wear and/or damage is required. The ability to perform accurization procedures on weapons to improve their performance is required. Basic knowledge of other trades in order to modify and/or manufacture weapons parts for accurization is required. Experience to apply technical manuals, regulations, specifications and drawings to determine operation, assembly and tolerances of the variety of weapons worked on is required for successful performance. Experience using and maintaining a variety of hand and power tools and gages is required. Tools include drills, files, precision gages and measuring instruments, magnafluxing equipment and/or borescopes to determine when parts are worn or damaged beyond acceptable tolerances.
There are no educational requirements for this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Currently, there is only one vacancy to be filled; however additional vacancies that occur within 90 days may be filled from this announcement.
MILITARY INCENTIVES - BONUSES AND STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM: If you are selected for this position, you may lose your eligibility for your National Guard Enlistment/Reenlistment Bonus and Student Loan Repayment Program incentives. In order to avoid losing your incentive eligibility, you should check with your incentives manager prior to accepting an offer for the position.
For M-Day/Traditional personnel who are currently receiving incentives to include Bonuses and the Student Loan Repayment Program incentive, the following termination rule applies:
Incentive Termination without Recoupment: If you accept an Active Guard Reserve (AGR) position or a Military Technician (Mil Tech) Permanent or Indefinite position after 25 February 2010 where membership in the National Guard is a condition of employment, your bonus will be terminated with no recoupment.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
How You Will Be Evaluated Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position.
Plagiarism is defined as, "taking the writings or literary ideas of another and selling and/or publishing them as one's own writing." Plagiarism violates the code of the United States Army/Air National Guard and resumes that contain it will not be forwarded to hiring supervisors.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
2 -* OF 306* must be signed and dated within 1 year of the closing date of this announcement *Please follow link to obtain OF 306: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/of0306.pdf
3 - Reference Worksheet must use this form List of three professional references, two of whom are disinterested (i.e., persons who can affirm the candidate's qualifications but have no stake in the outcome of the selection). *Please follow link to obtain Reference Worksheet: http://www.thenationsfirst.org/assets/pre-employment-reference-check.pdf
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10275649
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documentsto be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
MA ARNG CSMS 87 Barnum Road Ayer, MA 01432 US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/507673500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 08/10/2018 to 09/10/2018
Pay scale & grade: WG 9
Salary: $49,816 to $58,060 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time