State of Massachusetts Deputy Director of Strategy in Boston, Massachusetts
_About the Executive Office of Technology Services and Security_
The Executive Office of Technology Services and Security (EOTSS) places our customers and constituents at the heart of everything we do. We offer responsive digital services and productivity tools to more than 40,000 state employees, who provide essential information and services to the citizens of the Commonwealth. We also serve constituents, providing them with digital services and tools that enable taxpayers, motorists, businesses, visitors, families, and other citizens to do business with the Commonwealth in a way that makes every interaction with government easier, faster, and more secure.
_The team - Office of Strategy Management_
The Office of Strategy Management is a team of strategy consultants, project managers, and communications specialists who guide cross-functional initiatives from vision to implementation. We serve as the lead business engagement team for EOTSS and work across agencies within the Commonwealth to improve the outcomes of projects and initiatives at the intersection of technology and constituent services.
When state agencies, including our own, identify pressing challenges in leveraging technology, members of our team partner with them to address these challenges through strategic implementation support, analysis, strategy and business case development, and thought partnership. Whether solutions are pursued by agencies independently or as joint cross-agency collaborations, the Strategy team lays the groundwork for successful initiatives. Recent and ongoing engagements include standing up a new paid family and medical leave program —the state’s first digitally-native constituent service, developing a business case and technology strategy for unemployment and career services, and leading statewide telecommunications modernization efforts that will save taxpayers millions of dollars annually.
_The role - Deputy Director of Strategy_
We are recruiting a Deputy Director of Strategy. The Deputy Director will work closely with the Director of Strategy Management to implement the vision for the Strategy team. You’ll assist with business development and manage relationships with our partners. You’ll also oversee and coach a team of strategy analysts and project managers, work with Strategic Engagement Manager(s) to scope and resource projects, and manage the team’s capacity across projects. While valuable, a background in technology and IT is not required for this position, but eagerness to learn, empathy, and ability to leverage multiple skills sets are.
• Build strong relationships across EOTSS business units and agency partners to align strategy and priorities
• Consult with agency executives on strategic goals and initiatives
• Identify project opportunities within EOTSS and manage project intake
• Collaborate with engagement leads to scope and resource projects with agency partners
_Team & Resource Management_
• Oversee and coach a team of strategy analysts and project managers
• Manage, measure, and monitor resource allocation across the portfolio of Strategy team projects and vis-à-vis EOTSS and administrative priorities
• Monitor progress and performance across the portfolio of Strategy team projects
• Continually develop, define, and communicate the Strategy team’s service offerings
• Standardize and mature processes for project intake and closure/off boarding
• Promote knowledge sharing within the Strategy team and facilitate project retrospectives
• Identify, develop, and retain artifacts from team engagements to capture learnings and best practices
• Scale best practices to better meet current and future business needs
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• 4 years’ relevant professional experience *_
• Strong interest in solving problems facing public-sector agencies
• Experience in a role with similar responsibilities, with a proven track record of success.
• Experience managing teams, and providing feedback and professional development advice
• Strong interpersonal skills (i.e. High EQ), quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to manage relationships between technology staff and other operational areas
• Ability to manage projects from start to finish in a complex, regulated environment
• Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines and manage competing demands
• Graduate degree in Public Policy, Business Administration, or similar field preferred
• Experience in management consulting, business analytics, public sector management, operations management, etc.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have at least (A) five (5) years of full-time or, equivalent part-time, professional, administrative, supervisory, or managerial experience in business administration, business management, public administration, public management, clinical administration or clinical management of which (B) at least one (1) year must have been in a project management, supervisory or managerial capacity or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and substitutions below.
I. A certificate in a relevant or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required (A) experience.
II. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required (A) experience.
III. A Graduate degree in a related field may be substituted for three (3) years of the required (A) experience.
IV. A Doctorate degree in a related field may be substituted for four (4) years of the required (A) experience.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job: *Information Systems and Technology
Organization: *Exec Office of Technology Services and Security
Title: Deputy Director of Strategy
Location: Massachusetts-Boston-1 Ashburton Place
Requisition ID: 190006A3