Wellington Investment Director, Private Credit in Boston, Massachusetts
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
About the Role
As part of the continued growth of our private investment capabilities, we are seeking to add an Investment Director to join our team and be an integral part of our expansion into private credit. Wellington has been investing in private markets since 2003, and the Firm launched its first dedicated private equity fund in 2014. Today, we manage approximately $8 billion in assets across private equity funds and co-investment program launched in 2017. The Private Investment team is responsible for overseeing fund governance, product development, marketing, operations and servicing investors, as well as driving growth in our privates business.
The Private Credit Investment Director is responsible for the build and oversight of certain Wellington-managed vehicles that pursue private investment strategies and will lead business, investor relations and marketing strategy, and act as investment representative for the firm’s private credit business in in the US and other locations as needed, and in addition will help to ensure the integrity of our investment and risk management processes. This role requires highly developed skills in marketing strategy, communication, portfolio analysis, and a solid foundation in investments. The successful candidate will be a flexible problem solver, with a can-do attitude, who is willing and able to take ownership of issues. He/she will work closely with members of the Focused Initiatives IR team, and other colleagues within our Client Group, Private Credit Investment and Deal Teams, and other functional areas across the firm. This position could be based in Boston or New York City.
This role requires strong analytical skills, including a deep understanding of global financial and private markets, investment risk analysis techniques, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment. There will be considerable contact with clients, prospects, and colleagues within Wellington Management globally; in particular, Private Investment Deal Teams, the Client Group, Fund Services, Legal Services, and Tax Services.
The Private Credit Investment Director’s primary responsibilities will include the following:
• Acting as an effective investment representative of the private investment teams and portfolios with clients, prospects, and consultants
• Working directly with private credit teams to support, enhance and articulate the investment process and portfolios
• Supporting the growth and retention in client assets
• Provide regular investment risk oversight for a set of private credit funds
• Assuming responsibility for internal issues associated with the management of the private credit business (e.g., operational complexity, investment capacity, investment guidelines)
• Assisting in the development of marketing strategy and business planning. leading research and analysis on new business opportunities
• Communicating the firm’s Private Investments strategy and capabilities to both internal and external audiences
• Creating innovative and insightful presentation content for current and prospective investors to be shared with clients, senior management, Investment Directors, and others within Wellington Management (e.g. thought pieces, Annual Meeting materials, marketing collateral, investor letters) .
• Familiar with negotiating legal documentations such as LPA and other Governing documents. Able to extract key economics, compile, and document a thorough Summary with limited guidance
• Strategizing with and supporting Business Developers in sales and relationship management activities, including fundraising and responding to ongoing investor requests
• Participate in meetings with clients, prospects, and consultants to communicate our investment philosophy, strategy, portfolio companies, and performance. Significant travel should be expected
• Collaborate with product development, investment and client teams to identify and develop new and innovative private investment strategies.
• Mentor and contribute to the development of earlier career product management talent
The successful candidate for this position will have strong academic credentials, client relationship skills, demonstrated analytical and writing skills, effective communication skills, a high level of attention to detail, and is likely to have at least 12-15+ years of experience in a related position. An understanding of asset management, private markets (specifically private credit, growth lending, investment grade credit) will also be important. Ideally we are looking for someone who has built and understands fund vehicles. Prior experience in a related position, advanced academic work (MBA, MS, etc.) and/or CFA are preferred.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That’s ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to r ace, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMWTalentOperations@wellington.com .
At Wellington Management, our approach to compensation is designed to help us attract, inspire and retain the best talent in our industry. We strive to pay employees fairly and competitively across all levels and roles. Our approach to compensation considers all aspects of total compensation; all employees are eligible to receive salary, variable compensation, and benefits. The base salary range for this position is:
USD 100,000 - 225,000
This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered when making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; role; skills and experience; certifications; and education. This range is an estimate, and further details on salary and total compensation aspects will be shared with candidates during the recruitment process.
Base salary is only one component of Wellington’s total compensation approach. Other rewards may include a discretionary Corporate Bonus and/ or Incentives, if eligible. In addition, we offer a comprehensive and high value benefit package to meet the unique needs of our employees and their families, and we are committed to fostering a flexible work environment that enables employees to thrive personally and professionally. Examples of our benefits include retirement plan, health and wellbeing, dental, vision, and pharmacy coverage, health savings account, flexible spending accounts and commuter program, employee assistance program, life and disability insurance, adoption assistance, back-up childcare, tuition/CFA reimbursement and paid time off (leave of absence, paid holidays, volunteer, sick and vacation time)
Tracing our history to 1928, Wellington Management is one of the world’s largest independent investment management firms. We serve as a trusted adviser to clients in over 60 countries, visit our website to see our assets under management. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span nearly all segments of the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative culture of inclusivity because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise.
For more information, please visit https://www.wellington.com/en/ (https://www.wellington.com/en/about-us)