WSP USA Lead High Voltage Cable Engineer in Boston, Massachusetts
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Lead High Voltage Cable Engineer for our Boston, MA office. The following locations will also be considered: Newark NJ, New York City NY. Be involved in projects with our Energy Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
• Prepare conceptual designs for high voltage submarine and terrestrial cable transmission projects.
• Carry out/review/analyze complex technical studies and project scopes.
• Technical Leader in high voltage terrestrial and/or submarine cable system design.
• Provide expertise and guidance in cable specification, design criteria and feasibility assessments.
• Experienced with utility connection processes and requirements, design and technical interface coordination, and outage planning.
• Lead/conduct cable ratings and impact studies with regards to ampacity, thermal, corrosion, induction, etc.
• Well versed with cable pulling tension calculations, and validating constructability methods against cable system specifications.
• Witnessing factory and field testing of high voltage transmission equipment and systems.
• Perform quality control reviews of designs and assessments.
• As a leader, able to mentor staff and promote technical growth.
• Coordinate with program managers, project managers, task managers, project team technical leads, subconsultants, and other disciplines such as planning, siting, environmental, and construction management team members.
• Manage time and effort effectively on multiple projects.
• Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct.
• Adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
• Support technical proposals.
• Reports to the Substation Engineering Manager, East.
Who You Are
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Material Science, Applied Science or related field, and/or relevant experience.
• A minimum of 7+ years’ experience in utility scale cable transmission projects and cable specification.
• Knowledge of relevant design standards, guidelines, practices, from for example, CIGRE, IEEE, etc.
• Demonstrated technical competence leading high voltage cable transmission designs.
• Experience with high voltage cable systems of varying voltages (e.g., 138kV, 230kV, 345kV, 500kV, HVDC), cable specifications, design criteria and feasibility studies.
• Proficient with cable design software, such as CYMCAP, ETAP or similar.
• Experience with leading cable studies including ratings, impedance calculations, induced voltage calculations, pulling tension calculations, construction cost estimates.
• Ability to work independently and provide guidance, mentorship, and leadership to team and project members (including subconsultants), with strict adherence to QA/QC.
• Fluent in working with vendors, EPCs, regulators, and other stakeholders to distill key technical details, proactively identify interface gaps and drive solutions, ensuring project integrity and that technical requirements are met.
• Experienced with commissioning activities, from component level through to whole system and grid integration.
• Experienced with providing critical review for documents and preparing technical deliverables with a high degree of complexity.
• Possess strong oral and written communication skills, enthusiasm, and positive attitude.
• Strong self-leadership and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact with employees effectively, persuasively, and tactfully at all levels of the organization.
• Proficiency with technical and business writing, office automation and communication software, technology, and tools.
• Extensive critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from data collation and identify the most effective solutions to accomplish objectives of assigned projects.
• Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
Knowledge of Renewable projects (Solar , Wind farm, Hydro and BESS) and data center projects is a strong plus.
• Strong client focus.
• Experience with Station equipment FAT witness is mandatory.
• Knowledge of High Voltage & Utility codes and standards.
• Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures
• Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies
Witnessing and/or performing factory inspections, cable and accessory manufacturing, production and sample tests, type tests and pre-qualification (PQ) and qualification tests.
• Experienced in failure analysis (e.g., Root Cause Analysis, Tap Root), witnessing cable and accessory removal, and evidence preservation.
• Experienced with laboratory dissection and component testing.
• PE registration in the US and ability to register in other US States is preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
Expected Salary: $111,400 - $189,300
WSP USA is providing the compensation range and general description of other compensation and benefits that the company in good faith believes it might pay and/or offer for this position based on the successful applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities in addition to internal equity and geographic location. WSP USA reserves the right to ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an applicant’s sex or other status protected by local, state, or federal law.
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper.
WSP provides a flexible and agile workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or other staffing services. Unsolicited resumes include any resume or hiring document sent to WSP in the absence of a signed Service Agreement where WSP has expressly requested recruitment/staffing services specific to the position at hand. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers or other business leaders, will become the property of WSP and WSP will have the right to hire that candidate without reservation – no fee or other compensation will be owed or paid to the recruiter, employment agency, or other staffing service.
- WSP USA Jobs