Black & Veatch Protection Design Engineer - Federal Services - Remote United States in Boston, Massachusetts
Protection Design Engineer - Federal Services - Remote United States
Date: Nov 24, 2021
Company: Black & Veatch Family of Companies
We believe real value is powered by the unique skills and experiences of our professionals. The interchange of ideas from a diverse group of people gives our teams an expanded perspective and the ability to find better solutions for our clients.
Company : B&V Special Projects Corp.
Req Id : 57302
Job Title : Protection Design Engineer - Federal Services - Remote United States
Location : USVRTL
Business Unit Sector : SPC-GOV-FEDERAL SE
Opportunity Type : Staff
Relocation eligible : Yes
Full time/Part time : Full-Time
Project Only Hire : No
Visa Sponsorship Available: No
The Black & Veatch Federal Business is grounded in history and engineering the future. We have 100+ years of experience supporting the Federal government and are dedicated to employing talented and passionate professionals. Our vision is to be the greatest infrastructure solutions provider delivering top tier and high-quality design and engineering services to the Federal government. Our primary areas of focus include: Architecture/Engineering (A/E) and Classified Design Services, Construction Services, Environmental Services, and Integrated Services.
Functions as a technology leader in the primary area of physical security including other structural critical skills. Responsible for execution of assigned projects. Work varies between Protective Design and Structural Engineering.
Professional will provide Protection Design Engineering services for primarily for U.S. Federal Government facilities.
The work will include:
• Protective Structure Design
• Communication with external clients, internal clients and Division leadership
• Structural Engineering
• Working in BIM Platforms such as Rivet
• Mentoring and training other structural engineers
General duties and responsibilities may include, however are not limited to:
• Promotes and supports a culture of Black & Veatch’s principles, behaviors, initiatives, and values; innovation; quality; and safety.
• Engineering Standards: Proactively provides guidance and direction. Interpreting, applying and providing direction to larger assigned tasks. Typically has ownership in maintaining and updating, developing engineering standards in the area of physical security. Provide technical guidance to others regarding projects or disciplines.
• Quality/Continuous Improvement: Establishes related processes and promotes a culture that is conducive to quality. Supports continuous improvement, change management and risk management efforts.
• Engineering Production: Accountable for managing engineering design-related aspects of complex project(s) or small multiple projects, including engineering schedule and budget performance, quality of engineering solutions and deliverables, and coordination of design, procurement, and construction. Orchestrates all technical aspects of complex projects and makes project engineering execution decisions within the bounds set by applicable policies, standards, guides and contract commitments. Responsible for the following: leading production teams; coordinating multiple discipline activity; and serving as the responsible charge for projects. Establishes work plans using resource loaded scheduling or a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for projects.
• Project Coordination: Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on complex projects. Responsible for coordinating project schedules for multiple disciplines.
• Client Focus: Works to identify future client needs and how to better position B&V for the future. Typically provides support to business development or pursuit activities.
• Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology: Serves as a technology leader and is recognized as a Company/industry expert within physical security. Will develop innovative solutions critical to company success. Has knowledge and skill sets to provide consultation and guidance to project teams in Physical Design and Structural Engineering. Typically supports multiple projects on the very complex technical challenges. Actively advances knowledge management of the enterprise and provides mentoring. As a subject matter expert, has additional expertise in Protective Design, participates in professional societies by presenting papers, participates on technical committees, and assists with code/standard authoring. Is externally recognized in industry as an expert which enhances the Company brand.
• Security Clearance: S Clearance is necessary with the ability to obtain a TS Clearance
• Professional Engineering License (PE) license in the USA.
• Degree in an ABET-accredited program of Civil Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering or Structural Engineering.
• Bachelor of Science (BS) Degree with 5 years of related project experience, a Master of Science (MS) or Doctoral (PhD) Degree with 3 years of related project experience or a Doctoral Degree (PhD) with 3 years of related project experience.
• It is preferred that the professional live within 150 miles of the Kansas City or Washington DC Metro areas. Work location is flexible, but applicants must be able to attend critical meetings and work in secure environments Kansas City or Washington DC Metro areas when required. Project related travel and required office time is not expected to exceed 50% of the professionals working time.
Key Skills include:
• Blast Resistant Design
• Progressive Collapse Design
• Ballistic Resistant Design
• Forced Entry Resistant Design
• Blast Resistant Glazing System Design
• Explosive Safety Siting Operations
• UFC 4-020-01 Threat Vulnerability Risk Assessments
• Familiarity with Finite Element (FE) Modeling
• Familiarity with Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) approaches for predicting blast loads
• Familiarity with UFC 3-340-01 and UFC 3-340-02 Design Techniques
• Familiarity with DESR 6055.09_AFMAN 91-201 Explosive Safety Standards
• Familiarity with Structural Engineering Codes, Standards and Requirements such as the International Building Code (IBC), ASCE 7 and UFC 3-301-01
• The ability to apply advanced knowledge in construction and constructability practices indesign
Non-Technical: Learning on the Fly, Problem Solving, Intellectual Horsepower, Written Communications, Drive for Results, and Decision Quality.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 5 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Executive Order 14042, associated federal safety protocols for federal contractors, issued on September 24, 2021, requires covered contractors and subcontractors who work with the federal government to ensure their employees are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by an FDA approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine, or are approved for a medical or religious accommodation by January 18, 2022. Black & Veatch may be subject to these legal requirements. This role will require proof of full vaccination or approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to start date.
Most positions - depending on the nature of work performed as defined by the division - will typically require incumbents to have professional registration or licensure in their designated home office country, or be in active pursuit* of such registration
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Typical office/home office environment. Physical Demands: Sitting, talking, grasping, hearing, keyboard input, driving, seeing, writing, reaching, stooping, crouching, walking, standing for extended periods of time.
International and/or domestic travel will be required
Black & Veatch endeavors to makeaccessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process because of a disability, please contact the Employee Relations Department at +1-913-359-1622 or via our. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only; you may not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications. General inquiries about the status of applications will not be returned.
Black & Veatch is committed to being an employer of choice by creating a valuable work experience that keeps our people engaged, productive, safe and healthy.
Our comprehensive benefits portfolio is a key component of this commitment and offers an array of health care benefits including but not limited to medical, dental and vision insurances along with disability and a robust wellness program.
To support a healthy work-life balance, we offer flexible work schedules, paid vacation and holiday time, sick time, and dependent sick time.
A variety of additional benefits are available to our professionals, including a company-matched 401k plan, adoption reimbursement, tuition reimbursement, vendor discounts, an employment referral program, AD&D insurance, pre-taxed accounts, voluntary legal plan and the B&V Credit Union. Professionals may also be eligible for a performance-based bonus program.
We are proud to be a 100 percent ESOP-owned company. As employee-owners, our professionals are empowered to drive not only their personal growth, but the company's long-term achievements - and they share in the financial rewards of the success through stock ownership.
By valuing diverse voices and perspectives, we cultivate an authentically inclusive environment for professionals and are able to provide innovative and effective solutions for clients.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickand.
Notice to External Search Firms : Black & Veatch does not accept unsolicited resumes and will not be obligated to pay a placement fee for unsolicited resumes. Black & Veatch Talent Acquisition engages with search firms directly for hiring needs.
Job Segment: Construction, Engineer, Design Engineer, Project Engineer, Structural Engineer, Engineering
Black & Veatch
- Black & Veatch Jobs