MasterCard Senior Counsel, Data & Services in Boston, Massachusetts
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Counsel, Data & Services
• Mastercard is looking for an energized corporate/commercial attorney to join its dynamic legal team to serve as a legal partner to Data & Services (D&S) group of Mastercard. Mastercard D&S provides end-to-end solutions through its innovative and proprietary transaction data analyses, data-driven consulting, and marketing and loyalty services to help our clients strategically optimize, streamline, and grow their businesses.
• Under the direction of the VP, Senior Managing Counsel, Data & Services, this position will provide legal and general sales support primarily for the Mastercard D&S in the North America Markets (NAM) region.
• The position will ideally be located in Purchase, NY or Toronto, Canada.
• Structure, draft, and negotiate high-volume commercial contracts ranging from simple statements of work to complex partnership and novel/strategic deals. Typical agreements include transactional agreements, consulting agreements, platform agreements, SaaS agreements, marketing and promotional campaign agreements;
• Collaborate with legal colleagues on product development and go-to-market implementation;
• Strategic partner and trusted advisor to a demanding business unit; counseling the business on deal matters as well as general business matters; High level of interaction with business clients;
• Manage wide-ranging issues such as data usage/privacy, intellectual property, compliance, regulatory, and tax by partnering with subject matter experts in these areas and other stakeholder teams, and balancing these issues against reputational risk to ensure product constructs and commercial agreements are consistent with corporate strategy, internal policies and procedures and applicable laws and regulations; and
• Support/Execute on strategic initiatives of the team in NAM and globally; Provide back-up support to international colleagues as needed.
All About You
• Solid transactional training and experience (preferably from a highly reputable law firm); Must have strong drafting and negotiations skills with the ability to manage complex issues and deal structure;
• Ability to manage, perform and enjoy highly repeatable and high volume work in addition to strategic and unique issues;
• Must be pragmatic, solutions-oriented, business-friendly, creative, thought provoker, and an advocate for the business and have a “let’s make it happen” attitude; Must have leadership skills in bringing different perspectives together and work through competing priorities;
• Must be able to work independently and collaboratively, including with our global colleagues, but also take direction from manager and other team members, as appropriate;
• Must multi-task effectively in an extremely fast-paced team environment with short turnaround times;
• Must have strong communication skills to interact with clients and colleagues;
• Must be a team player and willing to take on responsibilities and roles that support the team, region, department and the company;
• Must be interested in significant contact with the business clients on a daily basis with respect to transactional issues as well as other strategic issues that have a significant impact on Mastercard's operations, strategies and financial performance.
• A Juris Doctorate degree and admitted to bar and in good standing
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and the job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time to ensure the smooth running of the D&S business.
In many locations, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in our NYC offices, as required by law, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will be permitted inside Mastercard offices unless a reasonable accommodation has been approved in advance.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Requisition ID: R-179548