Thermo Fisher Scientific Automation Engineer II in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Job Title: Automation Engineer II
Location: Cambridge MA
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $35 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Viral Vector Services
At Viral Vector Services (VVS), a division of Thermo Fisher Scientific, we manufacture the latest viral vector therapies. We offer the expertise and resources necessary to help clients bring their drug discoveries from process development though clinical supply and commercial manufacturing. VVS is located at the forefront of ThermoFisher’s leading Cell and Gene Therapy business, enabling clients to cure genetic, rare, and otherwise untreatable diseases.
Location/Division Specific Information
The Automation Engineer II will be a member of the Viral Vector Services Team in Cambridge, MA.
How will you make an impact?
An Automation Engineer II fulfills the role within the automation team as a mid-level engineer working towards being a SME in a variety of automation systems on site. They are responsible for employing their technical knowledge to build out the capabilities of these automation systems in a GMP production environment. They will be required to solve technical challenges across the intersection of automation, process and equipment. This includes both on call support of the production facility as well as growing the technical knowledge base across the rest of the team. The Automation Engineer II will also be responsible to support projects that enhance the capabilities and reliability of the manufacturing facility
What will you do?
· Develop domain expertise on several the automation systems implemented on site.
· Learn best practice standards for process automation design and configuration
· Support a variety of Automation systems including but not limited to DeltaV, Allen Bradley, Unicorn, OsiPI, Ignition
· Work with vendors and contractors to repair, maintain and upgrade the sites automation systems.
· Support the automation efforts within projects to implement new equipment, systems and/or manufacturing processes at the site
· Resolve multiple concurrent issues with a high degree of quality.
· Ensure all work is completed by the team is to the highest GMP standards (GAMP 5, 21CFR Part 11 etc)
· Prioritize a multitude of different tasks and self-manage the workload to achieve team goals
How will you get here?
BS / BA degree desired in applicable area of expertise (ie; Chemical, Mechanical Civil or Software Engineering, or similar) with 2+ years related experience.
High school diploma/GED is minimum requirement with 10+ years related professional experience.
· 2+ years of experience as an Automation, Process or Manufacturing Engineer or similar
· Practical experience working with a variety of automation systems in a regulated environment.
· Experience with biopharmactical manufacturing processes (Bioreactors, Chromatography, Filtration etc)
· Experience in the configuration of Emerson DeltaV
· Working in an FDA regulated industry, particularly one adhering to GAMP 5 and 21 CFR Part 11 requirements.
· Understanding of the value of commitments to delivery made by a team
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Experience building and managing relationships across a large enterprise
· Commitment to Continuous Learning
· Willing and able to stay informed on industry trends
· Requires work flexibility to support a 24/7 production facility
· Ability to find solutions to a variety of challenges and ensure cross functional alignment.
· Strong self-starter able to manage and plan out tasks and meet commitments.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Jobs