Novartis Pharmaceuticals Head of AMD Research, Ophthalmology in Cambridge, Massachusetts
6000! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
The Head of AMD Research be responsible for directly leading a team of in vitro associates and collaborating across units with the goal delivering on the AMD strategy within the Ophthalmology Disease Area.
What you'll be doing
• Lead and evolve the disease area strategy for Age related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
• Deliver pipeline of AMD projects to key milestones and decision points
• Supports external collaborations
• Builds and leads a group of subject matter specialists
• Facilitates effective collaboration and creativity with other units in the DA and at Novartis
• Serve on OPH LT and delivers effective decisions to support pipeline
Head of AMD Research, Ophthalmology
What you'll bring to the role
• PhD or MD/PhD in Biological Sciences
• Experience with target identification and disease indications in ophthalmology
• Effective decision making in drug discovery projects, appropriate go/no go’s, ability to progress projects or stop activity based on data and strategic goals
• People leadership and career development and growth of staff members
• Strong strategic focus, ability to integrate information and data from multiple sources and prioritize rapidly
• Effective communication and collaboration with partners at all levels and locations across the organization
• Effective matrix management to deliver on goals without direct line management
• Deep scientific expertise relevant to AMD that will impact and influence the overall strategy and trajectory of the OPH disease area
• Leadership experience; track record of career development, mentoring and managing of reports at multiple levels within an organization
• Recognized specialist in the disease area outside of Novartis, with a strong network within the academic field
• Experience with projects from early discovery through proof of concept trials in humans, exposure to full development and an understanding of the requirements to move a drug candidate from preclinical to clinical development desired
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Research & Development
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.