Novartis Pharmaceuticals Operations Manager, Cardiovascular & Metabolic Disease in Cambridge, Massachusetts
17.9 million lives are estimated to be lost each year due to Cardiovascular diseases. The Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease Area (CVM) at Novartis Institute of Biomedical Research (NIBR) is committed to discovering transformative medicines to treat these disorders.
We’re seeking a hands-on, Operations Manager to help support and contribute to the development of therapeutics for CVM diseases. The successful candidate must be motivated, organized, self-directed, and capable of handling a variety of tasks in a highly matrixed environment.
What you’ll be doing, but not limited to:
• Establish and maintain relationships with CVM researchers as well as with the NIBR Operations community to ensure alignment and execution of departmental objectives, along with Novartis Business Services and third party vendors to provide effective support of CVM and NIBR operations. Be an active participant in the NIBR Cambridge Lab Logistics community.
• Support CVM scientists and general NIBR lab supplies for: consumables, chemicals, media, and reagents. Including creating and managing purchase orders and vendor invoicing. Finding opportunities for operational excellence by understanding the scientific workflow in CVM to improve operational efficiencies, logistics, and business processes. Support of financial analysis will be required including generation of regular financial, headcount reports and interpretation of the departmental reports.
• Development and routine management of SharePoint sites and projects. Serve as de facto specialist to train, improvise / edit and assist project teams in maintaining SharePoint sites. Co-ordinate and participate in Portfolio Reviews for the department.
• Oversee and maintain labs to ensure full compliance with Health Safety & Environment program, Business Continuity, Sustainability initiatives and Compliance.
• Support Lab Equipment Management including maintenance, inventory, life cycle management insights, etc. Support the ordering and installation of lab equipment. Manage lab; coordinate internal moves including new hires, recommend changes for space optimization, coordinate regular lab cleanups.
Operations Manager, Cardiovascular & Metabolic Disease
• B.S. or M.S. degree in a scientific field - cardiovascular, metabolism, in vivo pharmacology, biochemistry or cellular pharmacology is preferred with 3 to 5 years’ experience of working in a drug discovery environment.
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, along with excellent verbal and written communication skills, creative problem-solving capabilities, and willingness to work in a team environment are important. Ability to exercise independent discretion and judgment to solve problems is required, as well as to prioritize effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. Support culture in CVM and NIBR by being an actively involved.
• Capable of learning financial systems, budget planning and management, expense reconciliation, vendor contract negotiations, and business data analysis. Excellent digital literacy including proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook and MS Teams is required. Aptitude for learning software such as SharePoint and Spotfire is desired. Collaborate with IT department on software and hardware upgrades and licensing.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Research & Development
CVM Disease Area
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.