Monsanto Protein Engineering Research Scientist* in CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts
Monsanto, a leading global provider of agricultural products that improve farm productivity and food quality, is seeking a talented Protein Engineering Research Scientist to join our Biotechnology Research team near the Charles River in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Our scientists are dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of proteins for next-generation traits for modern agriculture that provide useful and sustainable solutions for our customers.
Twenty years from now, the earth’s population will need 55% more food than it can produce now. Today, Monsanto is working with farmers around the world to do something about it. In over 60 countries, Monsanto has established industry-leading products because we give professionals the freedom to make real decisions. Monsanto is an Employer of Choice with a globally recognized professional development program and a history of building careers. Make an impact by joining the team that is working to solve one of mankind’s greatest challenges.
Key to the design of effective agronomic traits for corn, soy, cotton and other crops are the identification, testing, and optimization of native proteins from microbes and plants. We are seeking results-oriented, dedicated scientists interested in tackling the formidable challenge of high throughput discovery, optimization and directed evolution of proteins aimed at improving crop traits. The position will work closely with cross-functional teams of scientists to implement current state of the art tools and methods in proteomics, molecular biology, protein biochemistry and cell sciences to develop our next-generation traits that contribute to our cornerstone of products.
If you are passionate about science, bring your best every day, enjoy taking calculated risks, operate with urgency, and enjoy a dynamic engagement with bright teams of scientists and engineers, then Monsanto’s Cambridge team may be the best opportunity for the next step in your career.
• Developing and evaluating methods and assays to advance the discovery and evaluation of novel proteins and protein variants in a high-throughput manner
• Working with in vitro insect cell-based assays and enzymatic assays to determine function of known and novel protein variants
• Managing the design, execution, analysis, documentation, and communication of research experiments
• Collaborating on multidisciplinary teams and communicating effectively and proactively in a fast-paced cross-functional matrix environment
Required Education and Skills/Experience:
• Minimum of PhD in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Protein Biochemistry, Protein Design, Evolutionary Biology or closely related field
• Minimum of five or more years of technical experience in protein science, molecular biology, cell sciences or related field
• Broad knowledge of protein engineering approaches
• Experience with recombinant protein expression, purification and assays (in industry or academic settings)
• Track-record of creatively driving technical business solutions both independently and through cross-functional project teams
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships, collaborate and influence
• Exceptional communication skills, with a proven ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, precise, and actionable manner to diverse audiences
• Ability to travel independently (domestic and international) approximately 5% of the time
Desired Education and Skills/Experience:
• Experience with protein engineering, structure-based protein design, and/or automating protein workflows
• Experience in automated data analysis using Python, R, and/or C# languages
• Experience with diverse microbial hosts and/or eukaryotic cells
• Experience with high-throughput in vivo and/or in vitro assays to characterize engineered proteins
• Experience generating intelligently-designed, high-diversity protein libraries for combinatorial directed evolution approaches
• Knowledge of protein structure/function relationships
Who is Monsanto?
Monsanto is an agriculture company with more than 20,000 employees focused on making a balanced meal accessible to everyone. We work to help farmers produce food in a more sustainable way. We think about how our food is grown so farmers have the tools they need to have better harvests.
We believe that bringing diverse perspectives together is the most effective way to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Career opportunities at Monsanto range from farming, plant breeding, chemistry and engineering to marketing, environmental science, IT and many other areas. We’re always looking for exceptional professionals interested in developing a strong career while collaborating to develop solutions for sustainable agriculture. Sound like a job for you?
Why work with us?
• Life at Monsanto means collaborating with dedicated professionals in a stimulating environment
• Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships
• You will work with market leading brand products in a global organization
• We provide competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and some of the best career development opportunities in the industry
• Monsanto is named Great Place to Work in many countries around the world
Join our global team where your contribution will make a real difference!
Organization: US Biotech-Trait Design and Science51013268_
Title: Protein Engineering Research Scientist*
Location: North America-USA-Massachusetts-Cambridge
Requisition ID: 01S82
Job: Research & Development
At Monsanto, we value a diverse combination of ideas, perspectives and cultures. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. If you need a reasonable accommodation to access the information provided on this website, please for further assistance.access our disability accommodations process
U.S. Employment Law (applicable for U.S. jobs ONLY): EEO Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled. For information about equal employment opportunity rights, please refer to this information from the U.S. federal government: ; .
EEOC PosterEEOC Supplement