Heywood Hospital Medical Secretary, Laboratory in Gardner, Massachusetts
Under the supervision of the Director of Nursing designee, functions as a member of the health care team. Provides clerical support including: coordination/scheduling of ancillary testing, obtaining prior authorizations and insurance eligibility, initial telephone triage, patient liaison between physicians and nursing.
- High school diploma (or equivalent) required.
Minimum Work Experience
- Specimen collection experience or knowledge strongly preferred. Medical terminology knowledge preferred.
- Must be self-motivated, quality conscious, dependable, dedicated, good communication skills, clerical and numerical ability, and a desire to learn.
- Flexible in meeting multiple tasks is essential.
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, flexibility, concern for order, initiative, self-confidence, self control, customer service orientation, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork and information seeking.
- Transcribes and proofreads pathology dictation utilizing medical terminology for preparation of gross, microscopic and final diagnosis results. Deliver reports to physicians and medical records upon completion by the pathologists.
- Collates laboratory reports for pathologists review for presentation at the Tumor Board meetings, including any outside consultant reports received and slides if warranted per pathologist’s request.
- Oversees process of specimens (slides, blocks, or reports) being sent for consultation. The process includes composing letters, documentation in Laboratory computer system, compiling returned report for review by pathologist, monitor return of specimens, and final resulting to appropriate physician.
- Maintains pathologist weekend on-call schedule, providing copies to be posted in the laboratory and supplied to switchboard operators.
- Registers patient information (demographics, insurance, medical record number etc) into hospital wide computer system. Place orders for Laboratory, Histology and Cytology procedures. Confirms status of insurance (i.e. Medicaid) through Point of Service machine and forward this information to Patient Accounts.
- Furnishes patient demographic and insurance information on those who have had Histology and Cytology procedures performed to outside professional billing agency.
- Communicates effectively, both written and verbally, with staff members and co-workers on all pertinent information in a professional manner.
- Responds immediately to the requests and needs of patients and coworkers.
- Acquires knowledge through educational in-services or seminars throughout the year. Maintains a minimum level of understanding in technological advances, disease processes and regulatory changes.
- Notifies clinician of any abnormal results that require immediate attention or those results that are requested to be called. Communicates any relevant patient information to other healthcare professionals.
- Maintains an organized, clean workstation.
- Assists the supervisor by performing required tasks to meet or exceed the department goals or objectives.
- Maintains and edits schedule of Laboratory procedures to be performed on long-term care facility patients.
- Orients and trains new employees, students and volunteers on all of the above responsibilities according to policies and procedures.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients by assuring that sharp objects, toxic substances and other objects potentially harmful to children are not accessible.
- Assures that the environment of care or services is free of objects which may contribute to the likelihood of patient falls, slips or trips. Makes readily available assistive devices for ambulation. Complies with policies and procedures relating to gait belts and similar devices.
- Is aware of the increased risk of falls, slips, and trips for elderly patients and visitors, and assures that the environment of care or services is free of objects and spills which may contribute to the likelihood of patient falls, slips, or trips.
- Is sensitive to the tendency of older patients to have hearing difficulties. Verifies that he or she is speaking with appropriate level of loudness so that the patient hears instructions, questions, and conversations with caregiver, but that offense is not given to the patient as the result of the voice being excessively loud.
- Takes appropriate actions to assure physical security of children and complies with policies and procedures related to the prevention of neonate, infant and child abduction.
- Is aware of reduced endurance and strength present in many elderly, and provides accommodation for seating during extended interviews, discussions with secretaries, receptionists and other clerical personnel, or when the patient is waiting for transportation.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. LABORATORY-,2000.52110
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 2000.52110.8281
Position Hours: 0
Shift: Per Diem
Job Title: Medical Secretary, Laboratory
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 02/23/2021