Heywood Hospital Nurse Aide, Geriatric Psych Unit in Gardner, Massachusetts
Under the supervision of the Nurse Manager or designee, the Nursing Assistant performs various functions in accordance with established standards of care, standards of practice and policies and procedures for nursing service.
- High School Diploma preferred
- BLS Certification
- Nursing Aides, Current MA C.N.A. certification
Minimum Work Experience
- 1 Yr experience working in a long term care facility
- Experience handling crisis and emergency situations
Exerts 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Frequently kneels (bending the legs at knee to come to rest on knee or knees), reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and feels (perceiving attributes of items as size, shape, temperature, or texture by means of fingertips). Occasionally crouches (bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine), and stoops (bending the body downward and forward by bending the spine at the waist).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Provides patient care based on standards of care, standards of practice, protocols, and established policies and procedures under direction of a licensed nurse.
- Collects basic health data as directed by a licensed nurse.
- Assists patients with activities of daily care (e.g. personal hygiene, toileting, nutrition, ambulation, etc).
- Appropriately prioritizes patient care (e.g. seeks assistance as needed from appropriate resources, recognizes need for emergency intervention, etc.)
- Respects each patient as an individual; provides care that fosters the patient’s sense of dignity and positive self-regard.
- Provides thorough, timely, and accurate documentation of all pertinent patient according to established standards.
- Maintains clean and safe work environment (identifies and/or removes safety hazards).
- Provides timely and thorough information on assigned patients to supervising licensed nurse and other health care team members.
- Participates in learning for colleagues and self (attends educational programs, in-services, assist with orientation of new staff).
- Proactively identifies risk to patient safety and identifies opportunities to reduce medical/health care errors (i.e. appropriate reporting of errors/incidents).
- Ensures that GPU patients are appropriately dressed in street clothes and are well groomed.
- Transports patients to other departments for scheduled tests.
- Launders patient clothing and keeps it in good condition for patient use while hospitalized.
- Performs patient safety checks on the unit.
- Participates in the redirection and/or de-escalation of the disruptive or potentially violent patient.
- Performs close supervision (1:1) of patients as assigned and monitors patients’ needs during this time.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the needs of the geriatric population with psychiatric illness.
- Monitors patient activity for overall safety in the Activities Room of GPU.
- Participates in scheduled patient groups and activities as assigned.
- Assists patients with ambulation as needed to maintain or improve their functional ability.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. GERIATRIC PSYCH,6400
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 640050100205
Position Hours: 32 hrs
Weekend Frequency: Every other weekend
Holiday Rotation: Every other holiday
Job Title: Nurse Aide, Geriatric Psych Unit
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 06/13/2018