Air Force Materiel Command Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic in Hanscom AFB, Massachusetts
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below for IMPORTANT additional information.
The primary purpose of this position is to install, repair, and modify large/complex systems that provide for a variety of air conditioning functions such as heating, cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, cleaning, filtering, and circulating
Learn more about this agency
- With assistance of a higher graded mechanic, the employee repairs and maintains a variety of large commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems and supporting equipment.
- Under guidance of supervisor or higher graded mechanic, plans, lays out, and installs a variety of large complex commercial and industrial systems and supporting equipment.
- Troubleshoots a variety of large commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems and supporting equipment.
- Utilizes established safety practices, rules, regulations and procedures to maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- The employee repairs and maintains a variety of large commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems and supporting equipment with complex problems and extensive repairs requiring judgment to locate malfunctions.
- Plans, lays out, and installs a variety of large complex commercial and industrial systems and supporting equipment used to condition air in warehouses, shops, hangars, hospitals, and large office buildings.
- Troubleshoots a variety of large commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems and supporting equipment.
- Utilizes established safety practices, rules, regulations, and procedures to maintain a safe and clean work environment.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
5306 Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Must be registered for Selective Service. See Legal and Regulatory Guide
- A security clearance may be required
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- May be required to serve on call and may be required to be available after duty hours when problems arise. The incumbent is subject to call seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Recall to duty may be a requirement of this position.
- Work may require travel away from normal duty station
- Employee will be required to support Base Readiness and emergency Operations Exercises and Real World Threats and Events
- Employee will be required to augment the Civil engineering Snow Removal Team not necessarily performing in the primary skill code
- Employee would be trained on safe snow shoveling and snow removal practice including equipment operation and would receive appropriate safety equipment
- Employee will be required to support Special Events (i.e. Annual Air Show, Base Exercises) not necessarily performing in their primary skill code
- The work require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license may be required for this position
- Work may require the employee to carry an electronic beeper or cell phone
- Position requires CFC/NCFC Certification (universal) as required by 40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F., EPA (Additional Reference: AFI-32-1001 and AFI 21-1068)
- WG-10 requirement: A minimum of a Refrigeration Technician License including a Universal CFC certification IAW CFR Per Title 40: Protection of Environment Part 82-Protection of Stratospheric Ozone, AFI32-1001 Operations Management Attmt 1, AFI32-1068
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
QUALIFICATION: Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Qualification Standard Handbook X-118C for the WG-5300 Industrial Equipment Maintenance Family. Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most blue-collar positions, you must meet any screen-out element listed, and show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
The screen out element for this position is Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
JOB ELEMENTS:Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas: * Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc. * Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (includes blueprinting reading) * Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Various Equipment * Knowledge of Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic) * Trouble shooting
This is an open continuous announcement and will be used to fill vacancies as openings occur. To receive consideration for vacancies, applicants must submit complete applications prior to the established cut-off date(s). Application initial cut-off date is 17-JAN-2019, applications received after this date will be considered only if needed for future vacancies. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible. This announcement will remain open until the closing date indicated; however, those who apply after the cut-off date will be considered for referral to the hiring manager only if no selection is made from the initial group or if additional vacancies occur and the initial referral list yielded an insufficient number of candidates. If you make corrections and resubmit your application, the date the application is last submitted will be used to determine those who are considered to have met the cut-off date.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE:Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants):Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition. Additionally, if you are serving on a term appointment in the competitive service, you may be converted to a career or career-conditional appointment without further competition. NOTE: Current federal civilian employees may apply for this position and if selected, a break in service of at least 3 days may be required prior to appointment to this position.
90-Day Register:This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Incentives: Recruitment and/or retention incentives may or may not be used.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%201805%20Relocation%20Allowances0.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
BASIS OF RATING: Your application will be rated under the Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which the quality, depth, and complexity of your experience and education relate to the qualifications requirement. Additional points are not added for Veteran's Preference; however, Veteran Preference is still applied.
Category 3, Best Qualified: Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements. Category 2, Highly Qualified: Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements. Category 1, Qualified: Candidates in this category meet the minimum education and/or experience requirements.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire. The numeric rating you received is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully.
Background checks and security clearance
Q - Nonsensitive
Drug test required
- Required Documents
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference). ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act Chapter 21 of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 2108a, requires Federal agencies treat active duty service member as veterans, disabled veterans, and preference eligible, when they submit, at the time they apply for a Federal job, a "certification" of active service in lieu of a DD-214, assuming the service member is otherwise eligible. A "certification" letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. The service member's military service dates are necessary in order to determine whether he or she meets the definition of "veteran" under 5 U.S.C. 2108(1). The "certification" must reflect the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date of submission. The "certification" must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin (if applicable), your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Further, under paragraph (h) of the rule, agencies are required to verify a qualifying separation from military service prior to appointment, through the DD-214 or other appropriate documentation. Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Active duty members that fail to provide a valid "certification" of service with their initial application will be found "not eligible." Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 04/02/2019
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10381609
To begin the process, click the Apply Onlinebutton to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Applicationbutton at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- A complete Application Questionnaire
- Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10381609
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOTmodify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
Hanscom AFB 20 Schilling Cir Bldg 1305 Hanscom AFB, MA 01731 US
Learn more about this agency
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of your rating and/or referral to the hiring official.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/520668300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 01/02/2019 to 04/02/2019
Pay scale & grade: WG 8 - 10
Salary: $22.75 to $28.98 per hour Hanscom AFB is located in a high-cost of living area.
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time