Nantucket Cottage Hospital Clinical Coordinator - LDRP - Part Time in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Part-time, 36 hours per week, Rotating shifts
The Clinical Coordinator works collaboratively with the Nurse Manager and Clinical Coordinator of other departments to ensure quality patient care and efficient day to day operations of the departments. She/he assists the Nurse Manager either in-house or on-call to provide clinical decision making related to staffing and other administrative responsibilities. This is a clinical position assuming department-wide responsibility. She/He will function as a staff nurse when needed. The Clinical Coordinator must possess a mature, professional and responsive commitment to the Hospital’s nursing philosophy and leadership. She/he must consistently demonstrate proficiency in work performed and serves as a resource person and mentor to the staff nurses.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
Works in collaboration with the staff nurses in the department to ensure:
- Delivery of quality patient care utilizing the nursing process for all patients.
- Collect and documentation of comprehensive biophysical data pertinent to the patients’ actual and potential needs as demonstrated by taking the action necessary to meet these needs.
- Documentation per policy reflecting nursing assessment, nursing interventions and patient response.
- Setting priorities of the patients needs based on the nurse assessment as documented in the Nurse Care Plan and based on theNursingDiagnosis.
- Prioritizing nursing interventions in complex and rapidly changing patient situations as evidenced by the patient outcomes and documentation in the patient record.
- Anticipation of acute problems and provides leadership by instituting appropriate measures.
- Implementation of Patient’s Plan of Care in collaboration with patient, family and significant others.
- All data required on admission interview is completed within 24 hours of admission.
- Individualized patient care using nursing theory in collaboration with the patient and significant others.
- Provides direction to other staff in the collection of complex/specialty assessment data.
- Facilitates delivery of comprehensive patient care by: o Guiding others to set priorities. o Guiding others in their development of problem-solving abilities. o Guiding others in the collection of assessment data and formulation of complex nursing care plans. o Providing clinical resource information
- Patient plan of care is initiated using assessment data upon admission, based on age specific needs.
- The patient plan of care includes: o Nursing diagnosis specific to the patient’s actual problems/needs. o Nursing Diagnosis which reflects complex etiology. o Individual teaching plans using identified teaching needs. o Nursing interventions consistent with nursing diagnosis and etiology.
- Communication of the initial plan of care and revision (written/verbal) through shift report and other established procedures.
- The evaluation of appropriateness of own and others nursing interventions to patient outcomes as demonstrated in the revision of the plan of care.
- Formulation of discharge plans within twenty-four (24) hours of admission and as part of the revision process.
- Discharge plans are implemented by: o Making appropriate referrals to other health care services. o Implementing individualized teaching plan based on actual discharge needs.
- Utilization of learning principles as demonstrated by the documentation of teaching outcomes.
- Proficiency with treatments, procedures and equipment appropriate to the unit/department as demonstrated by the skills checklist.
- Safe administration and documents medication regimen according to established procedures with no more than three (3) documented errors per year.
- Use of standard precautions as outlined in the Departmental Infection Control Manual.
- Demonstration of competency in the following areas by physical demonstration, verbal or written exam: Equipment, Age Specific Assessment and Intervention, Procedures such as IV therapy, Medication Administration, Initiation of telemetry, etc., as may be required in the performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Attends 10-12 hours per year of in-service/contact hours in clinical areas of practice.
- Reviews and signs all in-service updates.
- Participates in sharing information gathered at educational programs once per year by written or verbal presentation.
- Participates in and runs unit staff meetings in collaboration with the department Manager/Director and in Nursing Administrative Team Meetings.
- Actively participates in own performance appraisals.
- Addresses limitations in skills and knowledge by initiating a self-developed plan of action.
- Communicates with the Nurse Manager regarding interpersonal conflict and accepts appropriate delegated responsibility for problem solving and documentation
- Identifies and meets individual goals annually which are congruent with the units and departments long and short-term goals.
- Compares nursing practice standards with performance improvement data, nursing research findings and technological advances and makes revisions as needed.
Participates and leads Performance Improvement activities.
Involved in decision making process by membership in one (1) committee or one (1) unit/department-based project per year.
- Coordinates and evaluates orientation activities in collaboration with other Clinical Coordinators, and Clinical NurseManagers.
- Assists in the development of unit/departmental goals and objectives in collaboration with the nurse manager/director.
- Collaborates with the Clinical Nurse Manager and others to evaluate staff’s performance.
- Collaborates with the nurse educator in staff development: o Identifies learning needs of individuals, develops a collaborative plan to meet those needs. o Identifies educational need of individuals and the department and develops a collaborative plan to meet those needs. o Coordinates in-service activities of unit/staff o Collaborates with the Clinical Nurse Manager in developing agenda for staff meetings.
- Assists with chart pulls for reviews
- Assists with the development of the Nursing Schedule and adjusts the schedule as needed to coordinate patient care needs.
- Communicates evaluation of ongoing assessment to appropriate health care personnel (Nurse Manager, physician, shift report. Reports significant occurrences to the appropriate Manager, Physician, or CD.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
- Current nursing standards of practice required.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise the assignment of staff, makes assignments and checks for completion of job duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to use a telephone, fax, copier, and all other equipment associated with nursing practice.
- Ability to stand/walk 90% of the shift, frequent pushing, climbing, bending, reaching, stooping, squatting and helping lift objects and patients ranging from five (5) to three hundred (300) pounds.
- Utilize face shields/mask, gloves, protective clothing, safety glasses, and other protection associated with the care of patients.
_Credentials and Experience Required___
- 3 years recent years nursing experience in the specialty she/he is being hired into required.
- Current valid Massachusetts Registered Nurse (“RN) license required.
- Current Certificate as a provider in BLS
- ACLS, PALS, within 6 months of hire. Neonatal Resuscitation required within 6 months of hire for the ED and OB.
- National Certification in areas of expertise preferred
- Must be available to work day, evening and/or night shift as well as rotation on weekends as assigned. Must be able to rotate to units as assigned.
- Must be willing to work additional shifts and/or be assigned on-call as needed.
- May be exposed to the following hazards:temperature fluctuations, moderate noise levels, minimal dust, infectious diseases and other chemicals as customarily used in a hospital setting. Exposure to various hazards in handling patient transports.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Clinical Coordinator - LDRP - Part Time
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3169222