Nantucket Cottage Hospital Registered Nurse - Per Diem in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Per diem, Rotating shifts
This is a Registered Staff Nurse position with responsibility for reasonable and comprehensive care for all obstetrical patients. Accountable for the delivery of quality patient care, utilizing the nursing process for all patients.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Collects and documents all data pertinent to each patient’s actual and potential needs within twenty-four (24) hours of admission.
- Documents and reports significant findings of ongoing patient assessment.
- Formulates the patient plan of care based on acceptable standards of practice.
- Communicates the patient plan of care (written/verbal) through shift reports and other established procedures.
- Plans individualized patient care using nursing theory in collaboration with patient and other health care providers.
- Initiates patient plan of care, using assessment data upon admission based on age-specific needs.
Incorporates in the patient plan of care the: o + Nursing diagnosis specific to the patient’s actual problems/needs. + Nursing Diagnosis which reflects complex etiology. + Individual teaching plans using identified teaching needs. + Nursing interventions consistent with nursing diagnosis and etiology.
Implements patient’s plan of care in collaboration with patient, family members and significant others.
- Communicates the initial plan of care and revision (written/verbal) through shift reports and other established procedures.
- Formulates discharge plans within twenty-four (24) hours of admission and as part of the revision process.
- Implements discharge plans by: o + initiating and completing discharge screening tool upon admission, + completing appropriate referrals to other care services, + implements individualized teaching plan based on actual discharge needs.
- Implements and documents teaching plan in the patient record.
- Evaluates outcome of patient care.
- Evaluates nursing interventions to changing patient situations as demonstrated by patient outcome, documentation in the patient record and revision of the plan of care.
- Prioritizes nursing interventions in complex and rapidly changing patient situations, as evidenced by the patient outcome and documentation in the record.
- Demonstrates proficiency in administering treatments, procedures and equipment appropriate to the unit/department as demonstrated by the skills checklist.
- Administers safely and documents medication regimen according to established procedures with no more than three (3) documented errors per year.
- Uses standard precautions as outlined in the Nursing Department Infection Control Manual.
- Participates in performance improvement activities by evaluating standards of care and initiating revisions as necessary.
- Demonstrates competency in the following areas by physical demonstration, verbal or written exam (medical equipment, age specific assessment and intervention, procedures such as IV therapy, medication administration, initiation of telemetry, etc.), as may be required in the performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Participates in activities designed for professional growth.
- Attends all mandatory Hospital/Nursing Department in-service training sessions and meetings.
- Reviews and signs all in-service updates.
- Presents one (1) patient care conference and one (1) in-service training session relevant to the unit per year.
- Actively participates in 75% of staff meetings and Maternal Child Health Committee Meetings.
- Identifies own limitations in skills and knowledge as demonstrated by seeking guidance when needed from appropriate colleagues.
- Identifies and meets individual annual goals that are congruent with theNursingDepartment’s long- and short-term goals. Participates in decision-making process in one committee or one department-based project.
- Actively participates in own performance appraisal.
- Demonstrates leadership skills.
- Organizes own patient care and demonstrates ability to set priorities, providing most acutely needed care first and implementing physician and nursing orders within appropriate timeframes.
- Recognizes acute problems that occur in the unit and intervenes in a safe manner, in accordance with Nursing Department and Hospital procedure.
- Provides assistance to other staff members when needed and requested.
- Reports significant findings of ongoing occurrences to the appropriate Nurse Manager or Physician.
- Participates in the development and implementation of unit and Nursing Department goals and objectives.
- Participates in the orientation of new staff members.
- Maintains order by maintaining adequate stock of supplies and ensuring adequate forms for the clinical record, patient education, etc.
- Maintains equipment, participates in the recommendation and purchase of new equipment.
- Assists in the performance improvement plan by gathering data and recommending implementation of a plan of action.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information in accordance with Hospital policy and applicable statutes and regulations.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
- Current nursing standards of practice required.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise the assignment of staff, makes assignments and checks for completion of job duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to use a telephone, fax, copier, computer, fetal monitor, and all other equipment associated with nursing practice.
- Ability to stand/walk 90% of the shift, frequent pushing, climbing, bending, reaching, stooping, squatting and helping lift objects and patients ranging from five (5) to three hundred (300) pounds.
- Ability to use hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, smell, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job duties.
- Utilize face shields/mask, gloves, protective clothing, safety glasses, and other protection associated with the care of patients.
_Credentials and Experience Required___
- Graduate of an accredited nursing school required
- Current, valid Massachusetts Registered Nurse license required
- BLS certification required
- Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP) required (must be obtained prior to end of orientation period)
- Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC) required within 6 months of hire
- At least two (2) years of prior Labor and Delivery experience preferred
- One (1) year of prior, related medical/surgical experience preferred
- ACLS certification recommended.
- Must be available to work day, evening and/or night shift as well as rotation on weekends as assigned. Must be able to rotate to units as assigned.
- Must be willing to work additional shifts as assigned.
- Must be available to stay overnight should need arise during patient transports off island.
- May be exposed to the following hazards: temperature fluctuations, moderate noise levels, minimal dust, infectious diseases and other chemicals as customarily used in a hospital setting. Exposure to various hazards in handling patient transports.
- Must be available to work overtime as needed to complete all job duties.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency
Job: *Registered Nurse
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Registered Nurse - Per Diem
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3152411