Nantucket Cottage Hospital RN Nursing Supervisor - 36 hrs/wk in Nantucket, Massachusetts
36 hours per week, Rotating shifts
The Clinical Nursing Supervisor is a key administrative and support role in Patient Care Services. This position provides leadership and guidance while promoting competence and excellence in care for patients/families across the continuum. The position will assume hospital wide oversight and serve as onsite administrative resource after hours.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
Responsible for the clinical and operational oversight of patient care units during evenings, nights, weekends and holidays in the absence of Nurse Managers and Directors. Key areas of responsibility: triage, resource, patient care management, administration and case management.
Triage Role -Acts as the central contact person in coordinating critical and intermediate patient placement and collaborates with charge nurses to triage patient to appropriate care unit.
- Facilitates admission to medical/surgical unit, and provides overview of capacity to nursing, physician, and administrative leadership.
- Facilitates the transport of critically ill patients to off-island medical centers.
- Anticipates/proactively responds to capacity demands, as necessary.
Resource Role –Facilitates access across all units.
- Deploys clinical resources, coordinating staffing resources to respond to demand.
- Collaborates with Emergency Department, Medical/Surgical Unit and LDRP to expedite patient admissions.
- Coordinates patient sitters on evening, nights, weekends and holidays.
Patient Care Management -Serves as a clinical resource in the management of patient care.
- Performs the role of code blue team nurse, is a member of the Rapid Response Team and responds to patient care emergency situations.
- Provides clinical consultation to staff.
- Assists staff in managing unit activity.
- Collaborates with other departments to facilitate/support patient care utilizing current policies and procedures.
- Acts as a patient advocate, performing service recovery.
- Acts as a direct care provider in clinical situations, as warranted.
- Initiates huddles with staff at beginning and end of shift to improve inter-departmental communication.
Administration -Provides nursing administrative support on evenings, nights, and weekends and holidays.
- Serves as the onsite administrative resource.
- Adheres to and demonstrates behavioral standards in all interactions.
- Acts as a liaison for administration, patients, nursing staff, medical staff and various other hospital departments, facilitating interdepartmental communication and adhering to hospital and department policies.
- Initiates Emergency Preparedness Plan as necessary coordinating evaluations, internal and external disaster operations and reallocating personnel.
- Assists managers in staffing schedules and Kronos timekeeping.
- Reviews and revises Nursing/Patient Care Services policies and procedures as directed.
- Communicates with the CEO, Chief Nurse, Nursing Manager, other department heads and/or administrator on call as deemed necessary.
- Collaborates with external agencies, ie. Police, Fire, Medical Examiner, as necessary.
Case Management –Assumes responsibility for the utilization of the InterQual Criteria.
- Under the direction of Case Management, provides Case management for the ED, MS and OB departments.
- Completes competencies in the use of InterQual Criteria to serve as the onsite clinical resource.
- Consults with Case Management as necessary to assure the appropriateness of the assignment of patient status.
- Collaborates with clinical nursing staff in the appropriate assignment of patient status.
Professional Development -Assumes responsibility for own professional development.
- Assists with Skills Days.
- Assists in the completion of the Nursing Competencies and HealthStream.
- Participates in Committee membership.
- Identifies own learning needs and develops/designs a plan to meet them. Seeks opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Completes annual training requirements in a timely manner.
- Uses and shares skills gained at continuing education classes.
- Attends staff meetings as identified by department managers.**
- In collaboration with the Clinical Nurse Educator, Nurse Managers and the CNO, develops and provides in-service educational opportunities, oversees clinical orientation activities, and aids in the completion of competency assessment for staff during off-shifts.
Occupational Health -Assumes responsibility for the Occupational Health Unit
- Performs duties as assigned.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing.
- Three to five years clinical nursing experience and demonstrated leadership ability required.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Critical Care experience preferred.
- ACLS and PALS required.
- TNCC preferred.
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: RN Nursing Supervisor - 36 hrs/wk
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3222520