Amazon Field Hardware Support Engineer, Amazon Robotics in North Reading, Massachusetts
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics (AR). We passionately work to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and automation to solve real-world challenges to transform the Amazon customer experience. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and assistance you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.
We are seeking exceptional candidates who possess a blend of technical and customer-facing skills to successfully assist existing robotic technologies in the network. This job will require a unique combination of flexibility, troubleshooting, creativity, leadership skills and drive. As part of this highly visible team, candidates have the opportunity to work cross-functionally with multiple engineering teams within (AR) to raise the bar on quality and the customer experience.
The Field Hardware Support Engineering team is the primary link between AR and Reliability and Maintenance Engineers (RME) coaching the site on maintenance best practices, robotics systems and tools. You will work directly with RME leaders and technicians at Amazon Fulfillment and Transportation Centers to meet or exceed the as designed performance of their robotic technology. You will identify maintenance pain-points, translate those into opportunities enabling product and/or process changes to improve system performance and customer sentiment. The successful candidate will work backwards from customer objectives and influence a broad range of maintenance, engineering, product, and solution stakeholders from Global Robotics and Central RME to ensure North America maintenance organizations become self-sufficient with Amazon Robotics’ technologies.
Key job responsibilities
• Front line resolution of technical inquiries and escalations from RME; the topics of these inquiries and escalations may include but are not limited to: deep diving offline robotic hardware, driving root cause corrective action, spares and tool identification
• Provide On-Site escalation assistance to reliability and maintenance teams (deep dive HW functionality gaps, capture and address VOC, remove roadblocks, escalate to partner teams as required)
• Work with reach back support teams on resolution of complex technical inquiries and escalations
• Engage partner teams to improve process bottlenecks and influence managers and directors
• Serve as Subject Matter Expert for two to three Amazon Robotic assets
• Identify and address trending hardware performance issues and improvement opportunities, and implementing solutions in the AR network
• Escalate building risks to program management and hardware support engineering leadership, define and deliver risk resolution plans
• Capture “voice of the customer” and leverage field experience to insist on the highest standards in product design and development priorities
• Execute continuous improvement projects using automation
• Work independently and with ambiguity in a complex, fast-paced, and high-throughput environment where multi-tasking is required
A day in the life
Amazon offers a full range of benefits for you and eligible family members, including domestic partners and their children. Benefits can vary by location, the number of regularly scheduled hours you work, length of employment, and job status such as seasonal or temporary employment. The benefits that generally apply to regular, full-time employees include:
Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
Maternity and Parental Leave Options
Paid Time Off (PTO)
If you are not sure that every qualification on the list above describes you exactly, we'd still love to hear from you! At Amazon, we value people with unique backgrounds, experiences, and skillsets. If you’re passionate about this role and want to make an impact on a global scale, please apply!
About the team
The Field Hardware Support Engineering (FHSE) team strives to ensure that our customer, site Reliability and Maintenance Engineers, are self sufficient in maintaining Amazon Robotic technologies. Our team achieves this by identifying deficiencies, communicating risk, and proposing mitigation strategies. Our hands-on approach to testing, troubleshooting, and investigating puts us in the shoes of the operators and technicians in the field. We then work backwards to satisfy the engineering requirements partnering with safety, hardware, software, and other support teams.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Austin, TX, USA | Nashville, TN, USA | North Reading, MA, USA
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Process Engineering) or relevant STEM degree
4+ years experience in a manufacturing, warehouse, or equivalent environment with experience resolving technical issues with a cross functional team
Experience managing multiple high-priority tasks simultaneously
Excellent written and oral communications skills for technical and non-technical topics
Troubleshooting expertise with proven problem-solving and analytical skills
Ability and willingness to travel up to 75% and a minimum of 50%
Masters degree in Engineering and/or MBA
Knowledge and understanding of Data Analysis (Tableau, Adv. Excel or equivalent), SQL
Experience creating SOP’s, defining KPIs, understanding of Lean Principles and Process Flow Development
Familiarity with Agile PLM
Project management experience
Experience with robotics hardware, software, and/or system troubleshooting
Experience with customer facing technical support and relationship building
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
- Amazon Jobs