J&J Family of Companies Senior Patent Counsel in Raynham, Massachusetts
The Johnson & Johnson Law Department is recruiting for a Senior Patent Counsel. The Senior Patent Counsel position will primarily support the medical devices sector of Johnson & Johnson, and more specifically the DePuy Synthes orthopaedics operating companies with a focus on the companies’ digital and health technology platforms, including its robotics and software applications. The orthopaedics operating companies are located in Raynham, MA; West Chester PA; and Warsaw, IN. The position will report to an Assistant General Counsel - Patents. The successful candidate will be required to work on site at any of the above locations at least 3 days/week.
The Senior Patent Counsel will
• Provide a full range of patent support functions, including patent preparation and prosecution freedom-to-operate studies (e.g., infringement and validity analysis), and client counseling.
• Draft and negotiate license and research collaboration agreements.
• Provide due diligence support for business development activities.
• Have superior knowledge of competitive technologies in the orthopaedics industry.
• Support US and OUS litigation.
• Manage outside counsel.
• Make regular presentations and interact with the business about patents, other intellectual property, contracts, and due diligence matters.
• Provide training to business personnel on patents, intellectual property, and contractual matters.
• An undergraduate or advanced degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Biomedical Sciences is required, with a degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering preferred. A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school is required.
• Admission to practice before the USPTO and licensed to practice in at least one state or the District of Columbia is required.
• A minimum of seven (7) years of law firm or corporate law department experience is required.
• The ability to articulate and positively engage clients and internal partners is required.
• The ability to give well organized and thoughtful presentations to upper management is required.
• A demonstrated competency in electromechanical, mechanical arts, and combination technology systems used in Healthcare technology systems (e.g., systems including software, algorithms, software, and device interconnectivity) is required.
• Experience in conducting patentability and non-infringement studies and rendering opinions is required.
• Travel up to 20% both domestically and internationally is required.
A demonstrated background in medical devices is preferred.
Experience in due diligence activities, license/agreement drafting, and negotiation is required.
Experience with digital technologies in healthcare is preferred.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Massachusetts-Raynham-325 Paramount Drive
North America-United States-Pennsylvania-West Chester, North America-United States-Indiana-Warsaw
Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. (6090)
J&J Family of Companies
- J&J Family of Companies Jobs