Baystate Health Behavior Resource Technician (E) in Springfield, Massachusetts
Thank you for applying to this position with Baystate Health.
We are currently recruiting for Behavior Resource Technicians in the Emergency Department. We have various shifts and hours open.
Positions will require rotating weekends and holidays.
Positions available in the Adult ED and the Pedi ED (Pediatric experience preferred)
A Behavioral Resource Technician ("BRT") is responsible for providing continuous observation of the patient or patients they are assigned to. The BRT role is to ensure that the patient does nothing to harm themselves or others. The BRT must maintain a safe environment and interact with the patient, family, and staff in a caring professional manner. As a member of the health care team, the BRT will provide care for the patient and may include bathing, feeding, toileting, ambulating, turning, and repositioning as assigned. When caring for two behavioral patients, minimal patient care is required. The BRT is responsible for reporting any changes in the patient's condition or behavior to the nurse immediately and documenting every 15 minutes during their shift. This description covers the essential functions of the position. Incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Provides Age Appropriate Care To PatientsDemonstrates knowledge of developmental stages for the following age groups child through older adult: Children, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric
2) Develops And Maintains Good Human Relations Skills.Introduces self by name to patient, PCT, RN, 100% of the time. Consistently displays a respectful, empathetic, and caring attitude toward patients and families 100% of the time. Interacts with other members of the health care team RN, PCT, MD, etc. in a professional manner. Accepts changes in assignments to accommodate the patient's needs. Accepts constructive criticism as demonstrated by positive behavioral changes, if indicated.
3) Job Specific ResponsibilitiesProvides constant observation of the patient/s intervening as necessary to ensure patient safety. Documents patient status every 15 minutes. Independently communicates patient information and observations promptly to the RN. Actively listens to the patient and acts in a caring professional manner.Provides care for the patient; bathing, feeding, toileting, ambulating, turning, and repositioning.Demonstrates knowledge and skill in assisting patients with activities of daily living. Follows directions from the RN in regards to limitations and privileges the patient has at all times. Possesses the ability to redirect the patient to a different activity. Possesses ability to deescalate a patient and maintain a therapeutic environment. Observes and reports any significant occurrences in the patient's condition and behavior to the RN.
4) Receives report from the RN and off going BRT when reporting for duty. Reports off to the RN and on coming BRT 100% of the time. Provides immediate care to maintain the patient's safety.
5) Maintains A Safe Environment For The PatientRemains with the patient at all times if assigned to constant observation unless relieved by a member of the staff. Demonstrates the knowledge and skill in maintaining a safe environment, can identify ligature and safety risks in any environment of care. Accompanies the patient off the unit as directed by the nurse and remains with the patient at all times in these areas. Transports patients in wheelchairs and on stretchers to procedures. Reports any safety hazards to the RN. If responsible for two patients the BRT may not leave one patient unattended.
6) Understands the care for specific diagnoses such as suicidal, eating disordered, drug or alcohol withdrawal, PICA, Alzheimer's, anoxic brain injury etc.
7) Communicates to patients that they are a high priority even during busy times. Treats patient information as confidential. Displays sensitivity to patients through non-verbal communication. Utilizes body language such as eye contact, smiling, etc. to demonstrate interest in patient.
8) Participates in Competency Validations, Educational Activities and Staff MeetingsCompletes all mandatory in-services and web strategies 100% of time. Attends and participates at staff meetings. Attends annual mandatory validations. Attends all additional programs as required. Continually seeks to improve skill level and knowledge base
Required Work Experience:
1) Experience as a direct health care provider, previous psych sitter, CNA, MA HHA or PCA
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None required
Skills and Competencies:
1) Demonstrates competency in reading comprehension, writing and following instructions
GED or HiSET (Required)
Basic Life Support - American Heart Association, Certified Crisis Prevention - Crisis Prevention Institute, Heart Saver CPR - Various
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs