Baystate Health Cardiac Perfusionist in Springfield, Massachusetts
- 40 hours, day shift, rotating weekends an holidays
We are a 716-bed independent academic medical center. We are the community's major referral hospital, and we provide a wide range of services, including:
Cancer care (https://www.baystatehealth.org/services/cancer)
Critical care medicine
Digestive disorder care (https://www.baystatehealth.org/services/gastroenterology)
Heart and vascular disease care
Laboratory services (https://www.baystatehealth.org/services/laboratory)
Obstetrics and gynecology care (https://www.baystatehealth.org/services/obgyn)
And care for many other injuries, illnesses, and conditions
Ranked among highest performing hospitals nationally by U.S. News & World Report
Among only 1% of hospitals to be recognized by Magnet® 4 consecutive times
Named a top 50 cardiovascular hospital by Watson Health
In addition to our outstanding care for adults, we also treat children with acute and chronic illnesses at Baystate Children's Hospital (https://www.baystatehealth.org/locations/childrens-hospital) , which is located on our main Springfield campus.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Jim Pugliese, Healthcare Recruiter
Under the direction of the Chief of Cardiovascular Perfusion and Chief of Cardiac Surgery, the cardiac Perfusionist is responsible for the operation of the heart-lung machine during surgery and the operation of special mechanical devices to assist in the conversion of blood and blood products. Operation of the heart-lung machine requires many skills and an extensive knowledge of medicine. The perfusionist must be prepared to deal with many emergency situations under extreme pressure. As an integral part of the heart team, the perfusionist must be able to communicate effectively and get along with physicians, nurses and other members of the team.
1) Responsible for patient management while on heart-lung bypass. Monitors and controls extracorporeal perfusion equipment during surgical procedures requiring heart-lung bypass.
2) Provides adequate and proper perfusion to the patient during surgery. Provides and operates cardiac-assist devices in the weaning and termination phases of surgery.
3) Responsible for maintenance and operation of ancillary equipment. This equipment includes but is not limited to intra-aortic balloon pump, blood flow measurement devices, heater/coolers, ECMO, and ventricular assist devices.
4) Monitors the altered circulatory process closely, taking appropriate action when abnormal situations arise and keeps both the surgeon and anesthesiologist fully informed.
5) Provides extended, long-term support of the patient's circulation outside the operating room environment.
6) Ensures the sterility and integrity of packaging of disposable equipment used as well as the correct setup and breakdown of all equipment, disposable and non-disposable, sterile and non-sterile. Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies.
7) Performs equity quality controls for control/preventive maintenance, related documentation and reporting.
8) Monitors and checks blood gases during surgery. Maintains and regulates the blood temperature to the patient during surgery. Records all relevant perfusion information during surgery and maintains the records after surgery.
9) Provides set-up, priming, and initiation of ExtraCorporeal Membrane Oxygenation as well as troubleshoots ECMO circuit problems.
10) Provides complete myocardial protection required during surgery, including providing blood or Crystalloid Cardioplegia delivery at proper temperature and proper pressure, whether antegrade or retrograde delivery.
11) Participates in research activities.
12) Responsible to provide staff training.
Bachelor’s Degree in Science and Graduate from perfusion school
Certified Clinical Perfusionist or Certification eligible
MA state license or Provisional license
Required Work Experience:
1) Eligible for graduation from accredited perfusion program with minimum of 1 year clinical experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a licensed perfusionist
Skills and Competencies:
1) Perfusion pump operating and troubleshooting
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Arts (Required)
Certified Clinical Perfusionist - American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs