Baystate Health Certified Pharmacy Tech, Outpatient Flex Shift in Springfield, Massachusetts
Pharmacy technicians, under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist, assist in various activities of the pharmacy department. Through the leadership of the Pharmacy Manager and Director BH Retail and Specialty Pharmacy Services, the pharmacy technician is responsible for the essential functions and responsibilities outlined in this document, noting every employee is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Leadership has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities based on changes in workflows or processes as necessary.
Employee is expected to: Obtain and maintain appropriate knowledge and understanding of Baystate Medical Center/Baystate Health (BH) Pharmacy Services. This knowledge includes the values, policies, and procedures of BMC/BH and BH Pharmacy Services.
Understand major job responsibilities and performance factors that help meet the responsibilities which include: Drug Distribution; Dedication to Quality Improvement Initiatives; Customer Service & Teamwork; Attendance.
Demonstrate commitment and dedication to patient-centered delivery of care
1) Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and understanding of the duties and responsibilities of the position to which he/she is assigned and performs various functions associated with the institutional drug distribution system and in accordance with regulatory and compliance standards included in functions 2-6.
2) Accurately prepares and distributes controlled substances according to department policy/procedure.
3) Employee must also be capable of performing the calculations required for the usual dosage determinations and solutions preparation using weight and volume equivalents in both the metric and apothecary systems.
4) Maintains a working knowledge of the general chemical and physical properties of drugs handled in the pharmacy department. This includes identifying medications that are light sensitive, requires refrigeration, are caustic, or poisonous. Employee is also able to use reference books to locate stability information or material safety data sheets.
5) Operates automated technology (Parata Max, Scriptpro robotics) in accordance to policy, procedures and manufacturing instructions.
6) Performs the essential functions relating to drug purchasing and inventory control as needed.
7) Dedication to Quality Improvement Initiatives:
Participates in the BH staff development program - Performance Evaluation (PE) and works to meet departmental, professional, and personal goals. Maintains a working knowledge of medication error prevention methods and handling/preparation techniques for high-risk or high-alert medications, including LASA medications. Understands population-specific preparation procedures (geriatric, adult, pediatric, and neonatal dosage forms and products)
8) Customer Service & Teamwork:
Interacts effectively with other members of the department and health care team on a regular basis. Maintains attentiveness to the rights of patients. Maintains confidentiality of patient information. Triages orders, determines priorities, processes orders and notifies the pharmacist as appropriate. Receives and refers incoming calls for the department, handles pharmacy window.
Employee is aware of and follows BH attendance policy
Required Work Experience:
1) None Required
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Previous Retail Pharmacy Technician experience preferred
Skills and Competencies:
1) Possesses good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
Understands the principles of staff engagement
Proficient in computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) preferred
Ability to work independently
Demonstrated math skills
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
High School Diploma (Required)
Certified Pharmacy Technician - Other, Pharmacy Technician - Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs