MGM Resorts International South End Market Sous Chef (MGM Springfield) in Springfield, Massachusetts
It is the responsibility of the Assistant Chef to efficiently execute, along with the Executive Chef and/or Executive Sous Chef, kitchen operation and pre-established food and labor cost controls, while ensuring preparation and service is of the highest possible quality and done in a timely manner. The Assistant Chef also performs basic food preparations and oversees the function of the kitchen(s) with others or individually. All duties are to be performed in accordance with federal, state, local laws, regulations, and ordinances, as well as department and Company policies, practices, and procedures.
• Communicates effectively with management, chefs, and co-workers with regards to the operations of the kitchen.
• Maintains operational control of purchasing, receiving, purveyor lists and inventory of all kitchen items when Executive Chef and/or Executive Sous Chef is not present, including creating menu(s) and/or recipes, monitoring food cost for outlet, and ordering food products.
• Oversees product consistency and makes necessary modifications according to business needs.
• Monitors waste and overproduction, and ensures quality and proper presentation of food by ensuring that all such items are produced to specification.
• Performs various clerical duties regarding staff and kitchen operations including: payroll, scheduling and staff files, and vacation planning.
• Maintains the overall cleanliness and equipment maintenance of outlet.
• Assumes responsibilities of the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef and/or Executive Sous Chef.
• Practices, models, and enforces proper food handling techniques on a daily basis, following all health and safety standards.
• Utilizes proper food handling techniques in accordance with local health and safety standards, including properly labeling and dating all products to ensure safekeeping and sanitation.
• Maintains budgeted labor costs by scheduling and staffing for appropriate business levels, including monitoring and minimizing overtime according to labor and departmental standards.
• Maintains budgeted food costs, including monitoring and minimizing waste and production according to departmental standards.
• Manages human resource responsibilities including performance management, and ensures staff motivation through recognition and engagement, including monitoring training of new employees to help them achieve higher goals.
• Supervises Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives.
• Achieves service, financial and Human Resource goals set forth by property Executives.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. It is not intended to give all details or a step-by-step account of the way each procedure or task is performed. The incumbent is expected to perform other duties necessary for the effective operation of the department.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience with extensive skill, knowledge, and experience in all aspects of kitchen operation.
• Bilingual abilities, per property needs.
• Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a supervisory position or role in a gourmet outlet.
• Associate’s degree in F&B and/ or certification in an accredited culinary arts program or equivalent.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Massachusetts Gaming License as required
• Food Handler’s Card.
• ServeSafe certification or an approved manager certification, or ability to obtain certification within 90-day probation period.
• Customer Service Orientation: The ability to provide excellent service to guests and ensure their complete satisfaction. This includes greeting and interacting with guests in a friendly and enthusiastic manner, building trust, anticipating and meeting guest needs and preferences, remaining calm and professional when dealing with guests that are difficult or upset, taking ownership of guest issues or problems and taking action to quickly resolve them, and caring about and valuing guests.
• Communication: The ability to communicate information clearly and politely to coworkers, supervisors, and guests when speaking, writing, and reading English. This includes targeting the amount, style, and content of the information to the needs of the receiver.
• Interpersonal Skills: The ability to develop and maintain professional, trusting, and positive working relationships with managers, supervisors, staff, coworkers, guests, and vendors. This includes being cooperative, approachable, and taking time to listen to and address others’ questions or concerns; treating others with kindness, respect, and dignity; and expressing empathy and compassion when dealing with the needs and problems of others.
• Team Work: The ability to participate as a committed member of a team. This includes cooperating and working well with other team members to accomplish goals and meet guest needs, being supportive of others, willingly helping others, objectively considering others’ ideas and opinions, sharing information with others, adhering to team expectations and guidelines, giving proper credit to others, and fulfilling team responsibilities.
• Coaching and Developing: The ability to train, coach, and develop employees. This includes recognizing and fostering talent, enhancing employees’ job skills and performance through instruction, training, personal guidance and example; providing appropriate developmental experiences for skill and job growth; and helping employees learn from their mistakes through positive reinforcement.
• Planning and Organizing: The ability to set priorities, plan and coordinate work activities, and obtain and manage resources so that work objectives are accomplished efficiently.
• Company Policies Knowledge: The ability and willingness to learn and understand the company’s policies, procedures, and regulations as well as federal, state, and local laws.
• Restaurant Operations Knowledge: The ability and willingness to obtain a working knowledge of restaurant operations, such as opening/closing procedures, monitoring food cost, and ordering food products.
• Kitchen Equipment: The ability and willingness to learn how to safely use all kitchen equipment.
• Food and Beverage Knowledge: Advanced working knowledge of food and beverage products, including preparation methods/times, major ingredients, quality standards, taste, appearance, texture, serving temperature, garnish, and method of presentation.
• Regular scheduled hours : Work Days: Varies Hours: Varies
• Other – Must be flexible if needed for occasional work outside of normal business hours.
MGM Resorts International is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, MGM Resorts International will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
MGM Resorts International believes in providing opportunity for every employee to grow, develop and succeed in a work environment where you can be your best. We encourage you to explore our job opportunities. If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact our Corporate Diversity and Disability Outreach department at 1-844-247-0370 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
MGM Resorts International
- MGM Resorts International Jobs