Baystate Health System Manager of Volunteer Services in Springfield, Massachusetts
The System Manager is responsible for the administrative oversight and strategic direction of all Volunteer services at Baystate Health Hospitals. Develops programs and volunteer support options that provide meaningful experiences for our volunteer community and support our mission of quality care for our patients and visitors. Assesses organizational need for volunteer support, including future program needs, and collaborates with organization leaders to develop program plans to meet identified needs. Supports and promotes an environment of diversity and inclusion for all volunteers.
Assures Volunteer Services meets all regulatory requirements, including Joint Commission, CMS, and state and federal statutes. Responsible for all aspects of personnel management for individuals, including hiring and terminations, discipline, and performance management.
Identify opportunities for improved performance and initiate appropriate staff developmental plans. Conduct annual reviews of staff performance. Identify opportunities and develop methods to increase productivity, reduce costs, and meet service level targets. Ensure adequate coverage of assigned functions.
1) Manages the ongoing activities and functions of all the volunteer programs at Baystate Health Hospitals in partnership with department management. Responds to immediate and urgent volunteer requests for long-term and short-term needs within the BH Hospitals. Oversees the daily schedules of all volunteer service staff and volunteers.
Partners with community agencies to support and develop appropriate strategies to
recruit volunteer candidates to meet current and anticipated needs. Directs the development of appropriate recognition, retention, and motivation programs for volunteers, including educational programs.
Conducts periodic reviews of program needs for volunteer support by collaborating with department directors and managers. Develops intake and screening processes to ensure appropriate placement of volunteers based on volunteer preference, organizational need, and skill set. Provides managerial oversight for implementing all aspects of volunteer orientation and training, competency assessment, and discipline as required. Assess individual situations for possible referral to more appropriate services, including internships and shadow experiences.
2) Responsible for operating and capital budget development and managing financial performance to budget. Represents or delegates representation of Baystate Health Hospitals in local, state, regional, and national volunteer programs and organizations as appropriate to maintain best practices and contemporary services. Represents Baystate Health Hospitals and promotes visibility through state and regional affiliations. Partners with BH leaders to develop strategies and share best practices for improved services across Baystate Health.
3) Manages administrative activities of the volunteer force, including time management tracking and other dashboard indicators. Responsible for oversight of daily management of volunteer information systems, including tracking of hours, volunteer database management, and quarterly and annual report preparation.
4) Continually reviews processes and documentation for improved effectiveness and efficiency, adhering to regulatory requirements.
5) Responsible for BH hospital Volunteer operating budget development and management of capital budget development and adherence to budget within established variance targets
6) Administrative leader for the Baystate Franklin Auxiliary, with 230 members. Works closely with BFA Leadership to ensure the BFA provides services and meets all applicable hospital policies, procedures, and regulations. Facilitate the BFA Scholarship program.
7) Manages the all-volunteer Cuddler program and iPad lending project. Oversees storage, inventory, production, and delivery of educational and welcome packets for all inpatient stays.
8) Manages the complete volunteer-run mailroom for all BFMC administratively. Manages all aspects of the mail room, including the postal permit process, collaboration with system resources for the delivery of mail, and ongoing communication to the hospital community on mail services
9) Supervises several small fundraising events throughout the year to offer departments an alternate resource for items not considered in annual budgets. Manages the budgetary process through the Baystate Foundation
10) Oversees the design, volunteer schedule, and budget for the Green River Festival sponsorship on an annual basis
11) Oversees the Student Ambassador program, Four Rivers Charter School internships, and other high school and college student shadows and observations. Manages the BSEP program at BMC and other community hospitals.
12) Manages 500 volunteers across 2 Community Hospitals - the equivalent of 35 FTEs based on service hours. Manages 3 FTE at respective locations.
Minimally required Experience:
Minimum of 5 years of management experience in staff management and or program development
Experience in working effectively with large, diverse groups.
Ability to manage various competing priorities and special projects within deadlines/ targets. Demonstrated ability to motivate staff or volunteers, including positive work environment accomplishments. Excellent written and communication skills, including presentations.
Proficient with word processing, data and reporting systems, and general management systems. Ability to attract and work with large, diverse groups considering individual and population-based needs. Create a culture of inclusion and acceptance for all volunteers.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Social Work (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs