Amazon Operations Engineer, AMZL Start Up Execution in Taunton, Massachusetts
Amazon created one of the most sophisticated supply chains in the world. From the introduction of Amazon Prime, to the use of advanced technology for package delivery; Amazon consistently drives change from the front of the pack.
As an Amazon Logistics [AMZL] Operations Engineer, you will lead and manage the lifecycle of challenging cross-functional projects, developing and delivering the next generation of sortation and distribution solutions. You are a customer obsessed leader that will play an integral part in planning and implementation of the facility network infrastructure including new builds, retrofits, expansions and program initiatives. Partnering with internal customers and internal/external stakeholders to engage as a team and ensure a timely handover will be part of your critical tasks.
Key competencies of this position include insisting on the highest standards ensuring that contracted resources meet schedule, budgetary, safety and driving quality targets; analyzing and deep diving systems performance, inventing and simplifying solutions that allow for improved processes and results; and providing technical expertise to internal customers and stakeholders.
Key job responsibilities
• Work independently with internal and external teams to successfully manage the lifecycle of the challenging projects, and act as owner in delivering on projects objectives and targets. Projects may span organizations or geographies in support of business objectives.
• Actively participate in firm engineering reviews, and make tangible impact on the proposed solutions on an individual system or its components, on the overall systems architecture, and on facility processes .
• Partner with internal teams, stakeholders and external vendors to set project priorities, establish milestones, and drive schedules to meet deadlines. Proactively assess stakeholders’ dependencies and milestones, problem-solve and drive solutions to mitigate the impact from the issues.
• Lead and coordinate all execution efforts in delivering systems and automated equipment designs per established standards and guidelines. Perform equipment/systems installation, throughput and safety qualifications. Simplify, optimize, remove bottlenecks and provide feedback while resolving difficult system problems or technical deficiencies.
• Lead effective meetings by setting the objectives, putting the right people in the room and driving detailed business and technical discussions/alignment. Document meetings discussions, decisions and future steps ensuring alignment on expectations with internal partner teams and outside vendors.
• Promptly and accurately communicate project status, risk analysis and risk mitigation plans. Effectively answer project questions in detail, and regularly produce clear and concise summaries for the projects to leadership/management team.
• Competently articulate system and/or equipment designs, including layouts, technical specifications and functional capabilities, to internal customers and partner teams.
• Efficiently manage change order controls, purchase orders, and invoice validation/approvals.
• Excel at building strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders across multiple projects
• Identify and lead process improvement initiatives that improve the Engineering and cross-teams’ efficiencies, optimizing the teams’ value and delivery. Through collaboration, generate high-quality, cost-effective solutions in compressed periods of time.
• Travel up to 80% domestically although travel intensity can be variable and consist of up to three weeks in a row, including weekends.
A day in the life
You are managing quality of implementation through multiple projects that can vary in scope, complexity and duration.
Daily tasks may comprise of site coordination with operations teams and contractors on project execution activities or changes; deep diving project progress, schedule and resources, while identifying barriers, creating solutions and driving resolutions. You may be facilitating the planning and/or implementation meetings with projects’ stakeholders, ensuring alignment in objectives, expectations, and the next steps; you would capture and publish detailed notes after each meeting to drive ownership and follow-through on the actions and decisions. Reviewing/approving audit mechanisms and documentation is one of the essential tasks, and you may be tracking the programmatic week on week installation opportunities with the internal automation teams. You may be brainstorming and developing workaround solutions while mitigating the project delays or design issues. As a part of the acceptance testing you may be performing systems installation quality, safety, throughput and performance qualifications, frequently communicating the progress to internal and external stakeholders. In addition, you may be supporting/training other engineering team members, utilizing the knowledge of Amazon’s safety, mechanical, electrical and controls installation standard and guidelines.
About the team
At Amazon, we are all Owners and leverage unique opportunities presented to us by owning everything
from firm engineering to project execution and final hand-off to our customers. We are a diverse,
upbeat, creative team of engineers and managers working on a daily basis to ensure that our internal
customers have capabilities to deliver on the Customer Promise.
We not only build, but we are also consistently improving our capabilities at Amazon. Continuous
improvement is the ongoing enhancement of our systems designs, through incremental and
breakthrough developments. We are continually raising the quality bar, and are never satisfied.
We seek to improve through captured lessons learned, that are incorporated back into our mechanisms
as a way to perpetually improve upon the next design and processes iterations.
We continually learn, grow and develop throughout the organization and our Subject Matter Expertise is
We are the Team! We collaborate, support, help and leverage each other in delivering on the business
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Boston, MA, USA | Bronx, NY, USA | Hartford, CT, USA | Manchester, NH, USA | North Reading, MA, USA | Quincy, MA, USA | Taunton, MA, USA
Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other STEM field.
3+ years of experience as a project engineer, process engineer, project manager, manufacturing engineer, or related occupation.
Experience with leading projects, programs or initiatives with continually increasing scope and impact.
Experience managing the lifecycle of cross-functional projects, implementing automated equipment and/or integrated systems.
Experience with CAD software (AutoCAD, REVIT, BIM 360, etc.).
Master’s degree in Engineering, Operations, Business Administration, or a related STEM field.
Operations Management/Distribution Center experience with direct management or responsibility for material handling, automation, or other technical projects.
Experience with Six Sigma and/or Lean Manufacturing.
Experience with Microsoft Project, Smartsheet programs.
Experience with design and/or implementation automation solutions, such as Conveyors, Sorters, high speed manufacturing and packaging lines, Robotic work cells.
Proven technical leadership for industrial engineering projects or programs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $61,300/year in our lowest geographic market up to $126,400/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.
- Amazon Jobs