National Grid Network Engineer II - LAN and WAN Infrastructure in Waltham, Massachusetts
* National Grid is hiring for a Network Engineer II - LAN and WAN * * for our Infrastructure and Operations department in Waltham, MA. *
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. Weconnectpeople to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
This role will ensure that Service Delivery maintains internal technical knowledge and the engineering integrity across the service portfolio and the various suppliers of IT services to National Grid business from current to future state. Further to ensure the alignment and assurance across the designs underpinning the service offerings with the portfolio.
The candidate will take ownership for the network engineering and implementation of a set of infrastructure requirements and hardware and software patterns, that in-house and outsourced development teams must comply with to ensure new and upgraded services can be efficiently built and delivered. These requirements must facilitate cost effective service management, allowing for rapid deployment, lowering the risk and cost of change, enabling rapid fault isolation, appropriate volume and regression testing, dynamic hardware and bandwidth provisioning with proactive monitoring.
Responsible for infrastructure lifecycle management determining current and future enterprise networking needs are delivered according to the approved architecture. The candidate will oversee and actively drive the implementation of solutions and design of WAN, SD-WAN, LAN, WLAN solutions. Requires a bachelor's degree with at least 10 years of practical experience engineering and implementing network infrastructure. Familiar with operational concepts, practices, and procedures so that architected solutions can be implemented, operated and maintained effectively. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks including documenting and presenting the architecture to superiors and peers. May be required to direct the work of partners and suppliers. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Typically reports to top management
• Ownership for establishing the governance model to ensure the above requirements are complied with and any residual risks are accepted and recorded. To run solution engineering reviews on key programs, influence and collaborate with Engineering and Delivery teams on the development of the system.
• In-depth knowledge and working experience in the infrastructure lifecycle management for the technology.
• The development of engineering implementation patterns. The socialization of the implementation patterns to all Suppliers delivering the services and the project managers that are delivering all services.
• Collaboration with the Solution delivery organizations to build understanding and awareness of operability requirements and to help shape thinking around emerging delivery methodologies to ensure the service design principles are not compromised.
• Responsible for specification, gaining agreement and application of engineering and implementation standards.
• Engages with technical design and project managers, to ensure understanding of service acceptance criteria and agree processes for testing that criteria are met.
• Examines evidence and evaluates the quality of project outputs against the agreed acceptance criteria, to ensure correct products are produced, on schedule and fit for purpose.
• Develops own ideas, or the ideas of others, making all the necessary observations and tests and carrying them through to a full practical demonstration, wherever viable and feasible. Where necessary, designs data collection tools and techniques for both qualitative and quantitative data.
• Identifies and responds to the key business drivers and those areas of business need which are not adequately supported by current and planned IT, within the strategic planning time frame. Develops the strategic response to the business requirement and produces business cases for recommended new applications of information and communications technologies.
• Reviews new business proposals and provides specialist advice on information management, including advice on and promotion of collaborative working and assessment and management of information-related risk.
• Evaluates major options for providing IT services effectively and efficiently and recommends solutions. Develops and presents business cases for high-level initiatives to executive management for approval, funding, and prioritization.
• Develops models and plans for the implementation of the strategy, taking advantage of opportunities to improve business performance.
• Conducts post implementation reviews of information and communications technology applications and products introduced in pursuit of the strategy, to assess the extent to which expected business benefits were realized.
• Ensures that those within reporting line are appropriately developed, motivated, empowered and that they deliver appropriate results.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Must demonstrate excellent communication and facilitation skills.
• Experience designing and implementation network infrastructure solutions applying standard engineering and technology delivery within solution designs.
• Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• Cisco CCNP/CCIE Routing and Switching certification is desirable
• Has thorough knowledge of network infrastructure and understanding of software defined networking applied to WAN provisioning and management.
• Tools for Network Performance Monitoring and End to End Service supporting WAN and SD-WAN, LAN and WLAN.
• The role is technical in nature. The candidate must be well versed in networking technologies such as Cisco, software defined networking, network routing, WAN and Cloud network security and segmentation based on roles and policies, WAN management, automation and monitoring tools and QoS, LAN and WLAN.
• Excellent presentation and communication skills with a high degree of comfort with technical and business audiences.
• Experience working with stakeholders to identify relevant requirements and understand how those requirements fit into the broader enterprise context for the application/platform.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
_ National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team. _