Lahey Health Lead HVAC Mechanic in Winchester, Massachusetts
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for leading and coordinating HVAC work while providing hands-on participation regarding the installation, operation, and maintenance of the Hospital’s heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) equipment and associated systems to provide environmental conditions consistent with efficient and effective operational requirements in accordance with Winchester Hospital’s mission, vision, and core values.
This technical trade position will have an impact on hospital finances and patient and staff satisfaction by maintaining HVAC systems so to maximize comfort in the most economical manner.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Required: At least three (3) years trade experience, which could include plumbing, pipefitting, welding, machinery, maintaining electrical components of pumps and motors, cooling systems, ventilation systems, cooling tower operations, steam valves, controls, and related equipment. Oversees Engineering and HVAC team operations for Engineering Manager when required.
Preferred: Experience with commercial HVAC systems preferred.
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Able to perform work with minimal supervision and/or direction.
· Ability to read blueprints involving electrical, HVAC and plumbing.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
· EPA Universal Refrigeration Certification or Refrigeration license required.
· Valid driver’s license.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS : N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
Engineering Team: Expected to respond to emergency situations that occur off-hours.
· Based on the issue, schedule variations and/or overtime may be required to resolve urgent issues.
Travel requirements: Some local travel involved.
· Reports to:
Engineering Team: Manager of Engineering
· Responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Engineering team, this LEAD position:
· Leads HVAC related contractors in the performance and completion of HVAC mechanical and electrical systems work.
· Ensures proper and adequate installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair, of HVAC related systems including steam boilers, chillers, refrigeration systems, pumps, air compressors, generators, blowers, fans, variable frequency drives, computerized maintenance control systems, and all other associated mechanical and electrical systems.
· Leads, directs, participates in, and provides insight into the maintenance and improvements of HVAC and related system operations and computerized maintenance management systems that support work order management and preventative, corrective, and predictive maintenance programs associated with HVAC mechanical and electrical systems and auxiliary equipment.
· Programs controls and monitors all chillers, heat recovery, and multi-zone units, pumps, fans, refrigeration systems, and oversees chemical testing on heating water in boilers/heat exchangers and water in cooling towers, chillers, and other plant systems.
· Programs and monitors Automated Building Maintenance System (BMS) occupied and unoccupied energy efficiency scheduling with HVAC, and other systems to optimize performance and savings.
· Leads programs that monitors, corrects and improves acceptable air quality in accordance with hospital and industry standards with emphasis on energy savings programs.
· Sets priorities of major equipment upgrades, energy conserving measures, equipment malfunctions or replacements. Follows through with highest priority assignments to ensure work gets accomplished to 100% completion in a timely fashion. Communicates status or work to all affected or that need to be informed.
· Assists with the development of HVAC preventative service bid packages, acquires bids, and works with and coordinates service contractors to perform services to all related systems.
· Responsible to ensure timely mechanical and functional preventative maintenance testing, inspections and maintenance programs.
· Serves the primary contact person for refrigeration contractors, air filter contractors, mechanical contractors, control system contractors, and for all facilities related utility service providers.
· With absence of Engineering Manager, ensures that all Engineering Department Technicians are working on tasks and projects per Service Response Center (SRC) work order priorities.
· Coordinates work projects and the work of other personnel
· Provides on-call response in a timely fashion to off-hour emergency calls.
· Reads and interprets blueprints and pipefitting diagrams to ascertain layout, location and specifications of work to be performed.
· Maintains tools and equipment in an orderly and safe manner to ensure easy access and extended product life.
· Detects and reports improper operation, faulty equipment, defective materials and unusual conditions to Engineering Manager.
· Performs all required documentation accurately, legibly and timely.
· Assists with snow removal and other projects as requested by Engineering Manager.
· Collaborates with Engineering leadership, user groups, architect and engineers to review the HVAC related portions of project plans and uses trade expertise to make recommendations intended to improve the effectiveness of the project plan.
· When it is determined to utilize outside vendors/contractors, provides assistance and direction to help the project stay on schedule and within plan and required specifications for all HVAC related systems.
· Responds to Service Response Center pages to investigate and then resolve calls according to the program.
· Conducts facility rounds to ensure HVAC and refrigeration equipment are in good maintenance condition and plant equipment is functioning properly.
· Operates energy management system for maximum comfort and in the most economical manner.
· Performs preventive maintenance on systems and equipment.
· It is anticipated that the employee will have contact with blood, bodily fluids or other potentially
infectious materials while performing their job duties.
· It is anticipated that employee will have contact with potentially hazardous agents while
performing their job duties.
· The list below is intended to describe the physical and sensory ability requirements of the
position; however those requirements may vary, sometimes considerably, based on meeting
patient and operational needs.
Full time, 40 hours
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
- Lahey Health Jobs